Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ripe Near Me website - a valuable resource !

Annette
Making a Splash

Ripe Near Me website - a valuable resource !

Some months ago I came across an absolutely brilliant website called "Ripe Near Me" - http://www.ripenear.me - which is a great resource for gardeners and foodies alike.

The website was started in 2012 when the founders noticed that there were fruit trees around their area that had the fruit going to waste because it was not being picked. The website is Australia-wide but is still in its infancy. I am recommending it because I think this website is a fantastic resource but unfortunately much under utilised and needs a boost along to reach more gardeners. It connects backyard gardeners so that they can swap produce, reduce waste and learn from other gardeners. I have met with 2 other gardeners and swapped produce. I have also collected blackberries and apples from public land locations listed on this website. I have suggested to the founders of the website that they also add seeds to the list. It is easy to use and by entering your suburb you can see on the map that comes up if there are other members near your location. Sometimes they may be just in the next street !

Membership is free and members can post the following:

• Any excess of fruit, vegetables or herbs they are willing to give away
  • Any fruit, vegetables or herbs they wish to sell - the price is listed
  • As well as vegetables and fruit I have seen chicken and duck eggs for sale
  • People can list fruit, vegetables or herbs that they have seen growing on public land
  • Members can make requestes to specific growers for certain fruit and vegetables
  • Members can list the status of their produce specifying if it is growing or ripe

I sincerely hope that this website becomes more well known and that it expands rapidly which will ultimately benefit all members of that website.

Check this website out and hopefully it will help you in the same way that it has helped me.

Happy growing !

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ripe Near Me website - a valuable resource !

It's certainly a great idea and another powerful example of the benefits of community. Hopefully Workshop members might also start to connect and share produce in future.

Thanks for sharing @Annette

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Juliapinkiepie
Building a Reputation

Signing up now
I used to hate seeing my previous neighbours oranges and Mandarins rotting away.
There's kids going days without any servings of fruit :unhappy:
Emily
Cultivating a Following

This is such a great idea! Right now I have an excess of tomato seedlings - more than I could ever plant in my backyard garden (I experimented with growing from seed for the first time and was far more successful than expected).
While it doesn't exactly fit the bill of the website since they won't be fruiting for another few months, I'm sure someone would be willing to take a few off my hands!

Hi Emily - let me know if you find other gardeners nearby on the "Ripe Near Me" website.

Let me know if you find other gardeners nearby on the "Ripe Near Me" website.

Good Luck with it.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, 

The ripenear.me website just came up in a conversation here at Workshop HQ and it reminded me that @Annette had raised it a couple of years ago. Anyone else using the site? Has it grown in popularity recently? Do you try to share your home-grown produce with others? 

I would be keen to hear about your experiences. Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects