Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing old retaining wall.

Lukebrea
Just Starting Out

Removing old retaining wall.

Hi,

I have an old retaining wall that needs replacing. My question is how quickly do you have to install the new retaining wall after digging it out? I've had quotes by professional landscapers and probably about half the cost is for them to manually God it out. The space is too cramped for mechanical diggers.

Thanks

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Removing old retaining wall.

I would go with ASAP.

Longer you leave it the greater the risk of collaspe becomes.

Important to get the founation and drainage right as they are a couple of the big fail points for retaining walls.

I would put this sort of job in the quote high in the hope someone beats you easily catergory.

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

What height is the wall retaining and what is the wall made from?
To give any answer without knowing either of those is impossible...for instance if you are retaining 300mm high sand with a single brick wall then that is entirely different to a retaining wall 900mm high using limestone blocks...? With no offence intended I don't think commenting on foundations and drainage is relevant without the above knowledge.
Peace

The height of the wall is 600 mm and towards one end it tapers down to ground level. It is made from wood. Parts of it is nearly rotted away.
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Last year we had to get some retaining walls built and used experts. It was expensive but as Brad suggests, its hard work. Perhaps you could reduce the price by offering your own services as a labourer on the job?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Lukebrea,

Just wondering whether you've made any progress with removing and replacing the retaining wall? If you're still after some advice, perhaps adding a photo to this discussion might help community members see what you are dealing with. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects