Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pruning roses

Scottyw
Growing in Experience

Pruning roses

Another quick gardening question. Is now the right time to prune roses? If so, can anyone give some quick and easy tips? We've inherited some old roses from our new houses former owners and I would hate to kill them! 

Pruning.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Pruning roses

Let me tag some of our greenest thumbs for you @Moosdad.

@Adam_W@CathM@Noelle and @DonnaE, would you like to share some tips for pruning climbing roses?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @Moosdad, that is one of 'those' questions I'm afraid...
Most roses are pretty straightforward - reduce by up to 2/3rds in winter. Climbing roses not so much.
Climbers (and single blooming varieties, those that only bloom in spring) should generally be pruned after their main flowering. The way they are pruned will often depend on the variety so really worth keeping the label as it likely has variety-specific info.
Here are some general tips from an article I wrote a few years back;
Pruning a climbing rose requires a slightly different approach to clipping a shrub rose.
# For the first two years train the rose in the directions you would like it to go only removing damaged and diseased shoots or dead branches. You are not really concentrating on pruning for flower production at this stage.
# From the third year prune main shoots to the desired form and shape. The side shoots need to be cut back by 2/3 or to a point where three or four buds are left.
# You may want to keep the plant tidy by removing spent flowers, this can bring-on new blooms. Remember though that some forms are only single bloomers and are highly regarded for their beautiful autumn and winter display of colourful rosehips, you’ll be loosing this if you clip the old flowers off.

Sorry to be so vague, hope this helps!

From a more general rose pruning perspective I have a little video here;

Moosdad
Getting Established

Unfortunately the climbing rose we have was already in the garden when we purchased the house so i dont know what variety it is. I might just cut it back and see how it goes

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Feel free to post a photo @Moosdad, especially if there are any flowers left. A member might be able to help identify it for you.

Jason

Moosdad
Getting Established

This is the white climbing roseThis is the white climbing rose

20180622_172555.jpg

The yellow climbing roseThe yellow climbing rose

20180622_172659.jpg

Rob1961
Just Starting Out

When the rose is dormant is the right time to prune. If you live in a cool climate, like Tasmania, and your rose is showing signs of rust do a major prune regardless of the time of year. 1: remove dead and diseased wood  2: prune the canes you are wanting to keep ( 4or 5 should do) to the desired height, e.g. for a tall rose keep the canes high, and prune to a bud (or leaf node same thing) pointing to the direction you would like the rose to head.Remove all canes on the cane you're keeping and remove all leaves (on the bush and on the ground ).

If you wish to be pedantic the distance above a bud to be pruned should be equal to the thickness of the cane i.e. if a cane is 10mm thick prune 10mm above the bud.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience @Rob1961. We are pleased to have you join the Workshop community. We trust that you'll find plenty of like-minded members who are as obviously passionate about gardening as you are. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden or anytime you have anything to share with the community. 

Welcome,

Jason

The person in the video is holding the secateurs upside down in most of those shots. The “anvil” should be on the to side of the cut and the blade on the bottom. This stops the anvil from bruising the wood below the cut, making it heal faster and preventing an entry point for pest and disease.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Christo5. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

That's a keen eye you have there. I have also been taught that the anvil should be on the side you are not keeping. You'll note in @Adam_W's video above that he mentions this tip.

It's fantastic to have someone as knowledgeable as yourself join the community. I look forward to hearing what other helpful gardening advice you have to offer our members. Please let us know anytime you need assistance with a project around your home or garden or would like to share one with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration here as our creative members are contributing their projects every day.

Mitchell

Hi @Christo5 
Thanks, you are spot-on regarding the correct way to prune however please look again at the video.
Every cut shot is with the blade facing towards the plant (you can see this in the screen-shot I have attached).
I do also say in the voice-over - "Always make cuts with the blade of your pruners facing towards the plant..."
Thanks for watching.Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 2.00.15 pm.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects