Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pruning roses

Scottyw
Growing in Experience

Pruning roses

Another quick gardening question. Is now the right time to prune roses? If so, can anyone give some quick and easy tips? We've inherited some old roses from our new houses former owners and I would hate to kill them! 

Pruning.png

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Pruning roses

Yup, winter is the right time, although you might want to wait a month or two if you're in an area that gets frosts. Pruning is important to encourage new growth and flowers. Here's a how-to video:

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Has it finished flowering @Scottyw? My tip would be to ensure you have a good pair of gardening gloves and really sharp secateurs. You might also need a saw to remove the really old dark brown stems. 

Scottyw
Growing in Experience

Yes Isobel, I think it has finished flowering now. Thanks for the tips.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

No problem. I still have quite a few flowers so will be waiting another month or two. 

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Don't be too worried when pruning. Roses are really tough so you're not going to hurt the plant. The worst thing that can happen is that you just get a few less flowers next season. Remember to get rid of all the dead wood and make the cut on the new wood just above the buds on the stems - the buds are where the new shoots emerge. 

What do you use to sharpen and clean your pruning tools?

@wilso2310

I try to wipe my secateurs with warm soapy water after each use, then rub them with a bit of vegetable oil to keep them from rusting. I have one of these to sharpen the blades - https://www.bunnings.com.au/eze-lap-diamond-fine-stone-sharpener_p5766728

This might be handy @wilso2310

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

While winter is traditionally the time for pruning roses, I see Yates is encouraging rose owners to also prune now in summer for another flush of blooms in autumn.

See http://www.yates.com.au/garden-calendar/january/roses/

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects