Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Protecting plants from frost

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Protecting plants from frost

Today was the first morning I've had a bit of ice on the car windscreen. Winter is clearly here. Just wondering if people could share any tips for protecting precious plants from frost? What do you do to look after them?

QuailFlock
Having an Impact

Re: Protecting plants from frost

I got plant blanket from Bunnings to cover up the heat-loving plants. Hopefully they can over-winter and tough it out.
Kellie
Making a Splash

One trick I've heard of is to use mulch - but only at night. You actually need to scrape it back away from your plants during the day as it stops the sun from warming up the earth. Then you put it back at night to trap the heat in.

JP_Finlay
Having an Impact

@Isobel using Seasol is a good preventative measure for frost.

http://www.seasol.com.au/documents/Seasol-for-Frost-Resistance.pdf

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

You can also water your plants the day before a frost to help protect them. 

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

Hi Isobel,

I'm afraid protecting plants from frosts is an uphill battle and usually a war that can't be won.

Frost causes a plant to freeze and when the sun hits the frozen parts, the cells self destruct. The trick is to have frost sensitive plants protected, so that the frost can melt before the suns rays reach it.

You can hose plants with water to remove the frost if you can beat the sun but it is a battle that can be lost so easily if the sun beats you one morning.

If you have some precious plants, cacti perhaps, I would shift them to a west facing garage wall for example if possible, that would protect the plants for long enough for the frost to melt before the sun is high enough in the sky.

Alternately, you may be better off to pot up these plants and winter them on a veranda or a more sheltered section of your garden.

The last and easiest solution that I adopted, is not to get caught up buying plants that simply can't live with frost if you have no specific sheltered areas for such delicate plants. Often these plants are being sold during the summer months and frosts are the furthest thing from your mind, sometimes allot of money is spent to eventually see a plant liquefy!!

Good luch all the same.

Barbara

Some good tips here as a new winter begins. Feel free to add your tips to the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yep, that is the 'plant blanket' I mentioned. Used it last winter, my capsicums and lemon grass survived the winter. They died the winter before without the blanket.

A bit late in convo, I found some conical shaped frames at Kmart about 5 years ago.... and my local foodworks has oodles of gladwrap thrown away weekly, so I made mini green houses that cover each plant that doesnt like frost eg like hibicus, I have some covered in shadecloth, All I do it put on when cool weather comes and leave all winter... Has worked great so far.... Now I have a hord of plastic 3 lltr bottles which we are going to have funs with the kids gluing together and making more mini green houses, in weird shapes...... Garden is certainly weird... but plants not dying..... Also bubble wrap works great, and it saves putting in stakes and pulling out.... I am lazy :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects