Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Port Wine Magnolias as screening

Highlighted
Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Re: Port Wine Magnolias

Fantastic result @suequarford. Many thanks for sharing the photo - I'm sure your work will inspire others and we look forward to watching them grow. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
boatbloke

Nice post and I reckon the new hedgeline will look great in a year or so.

I have a more established line of Magnolias along my front (north side) fence on Sydney's Northern Beaches (not right on the coast).

Unfortunately, I hadn't picked up the advice about regular tip pruning to get bushiness. The  result is that we now have 2.5m high and a bit sparse around the lower branches.

Is there any way to encourage growth lower down? Or should I just get an underplanting in there of something new?

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Welcome to the community @boatbloke and many thanks for joining in the discussion.

Let me tag @Adam_W for you so he is alerted to your question about how to encourage more lower growth for your Magnolia hedge. I'm sure he'd be happy to help when he gets a chance. 

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand with something around the house or garden. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects