Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pomegranate

Hummingbird
Getting Established

Pomegranate

The house I bought has a pomegranate tree/shrub and I'm not too sure when to harvest it? The pomegranates also spilt while they are still green...is there something I can do to stop, or reduce this from happening? Thanks
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Pomegranate

Hi @Hummingbird,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I hope you find Workshop to be informative, inspirational and plenty of fun.

I'm sure one of the Workshop community will be keen to assist. @Ajmod is one member who might be able to help as she recently shared a picture of her flourishing pomegranate tree. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

How long have you owned the property @Hummingbird? I ask because one reason the fruit can split is irregular watering. If the previous owners haven't looked after the tree by regularly watering it and mulching around the roots then it could be the cause of the problem. But you also don't want to water it too much, especially at this time of year, as that can cause fungus problems. 

Thank you grey Gardiner. I haven't had the house for long so not sure of watering habits before...I try to stick to my two days a week watering except for now as the heavens do it for me. Haven't mulched tho...when is the best time to do this for the pomegranate? Cheers...a grateful gardiner

Hi Hummingbird Im an eater of pomegranates and usually pick them either as they start to split or the tail goes brown thats about the sweetest they get , but not a sweet fruit , I love the bite but if they aren't sweet enough for you add them to sweeter dishes , apple pies ect adds flavour with a bite though I just eat them by the spoon fill , a little messy getting the pods out ,plastic bag for rubbish and bowl for pods once you have done a few its easy but watch the juice it will leave a red stain , also find they freeze well just as they are for later use enjoy .

It should be mulched annually with rotted manure or compost @Hummingbird. Anytime should be fine. You also want to prune the tree lightly in winter to encourage new growth and remove any limbs causing crowding.

You are awesome...thank you. I'll make sure to do that.

Thank you @Redbeard I'll make sure to remember your tips...I really would like the tree to flourish.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects