Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Poll: Do you leave your grass clippings on the lawn?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Poll: Do you leave your grass clippings on the lawn?

Bunnings_shutterstock_123529699_crop.jpg

Spring has sprung, and lawn mowers across the country are getting a workout.

Our latest poll asks whether you ever leave your grass clippings on the lawn to help put nutrients back into your soil and lawn, or whether you fastidiously collect every last cut blade. 

Please vote using the poll on the front page of Workshop. And feel free to reply below telling us more about your backyard mowing regimen.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Poll: Do you leave your grass clippings on the lawn?

We finally have a verdict. Most Workshop users don't leave their grass clippings on the lawn.

The results from last week's poll were 36% who do leave their clippings to add nutrients back into the soil, and 64% who prefer to keep their catcher on and dispose of the clippings elsewhere.

Thanks to all those Workshop members that voted and feel free to keep the discussion going by replying below.

Jason

GrassClippingsPoll.png

I feel this article doesn't address the important element of the sun. There's limited sun at this time of year so you don't want leaves and grass clippings affecting the health of your lawn. http://www.handyman.net.au/heres-why-you-need-leave-grass-clippings-lawn

This might be a good topic for @Adam_W to weigh into today. Do you leave your grass clippings on the lawn Adam?

Jason

Thanks @Jason, one of my pet topics :smile:

Most mowers today have very efficient mulch-mowing modes, I explain a bit about blade types and mulching in the video below I made for Victa (and while we’re on the subject of Victa… huge congrats to then for winning Australia’s Most Trusted Brand Award for lawn mowers 2018)

Mulch-mowing cuts & re-cuts the grass clippings to a very fine state before blowing them back into the lawn. There these clippings  breakdown very quickly adding nutrients and organic matter so it’s like giving your lawn and soil a light organic feeding every time you mow.
Mulch-mowing is also faster – you’re not stopping & starting to empty the catcher – and gives a more even cut – mowing with a catcher the mower sinks into the lawn as the catcher fills leading to changes in cutting height.

If you want the best possible lawn they you should be mulch-mowing every time you mow with a few exceptions;
- if the grass is really long mow it in two passes, the first with the catcher on, the second on mulch-mow mode.
- don't mulch-mow if the grass is really wet as the clippings will clump up too much.
- in anything but the warmest areas don't mulch-mow across the cooler months. The reason for this is that the breakdown of the clippings relies on biological activity in you soil and grass thatch. This activity slows down in winter and clippings can sit around the grass roots for too long causing fungal problems.

So my professional opinion is that if you want the best looking & healthiest lawn and healthiest soil beneath your lawn then whenever possible you should be putting the clippings back onto the lawn through mulch mowing.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects