Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plants that Repel Flies

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Plants that Repel Flies

Hello Community!

I'm in need of some advice.  I'm a wildlife carer and I'm looking for a natural way to repel flies around the animal enclosure.  I do my bit by keeping it as clean as I possibly can, but I think I can do better  LOL

I've read the article on the Bunnings website Six plants that repel mosquitoes and flies but with six to choose from, does someone have experience with this and know which plant(s) work best?

Thanks!
Deanna

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Plants that Repel Flies

@Deanna

I think you would have more succcess with this - https://www.bunnings.com.au/envirosafe-fly-trap_p4475914

They are very effective, you'll be having to empty it in no time. Pesticide free, non-toxic ...

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks so much @Isobel  I could probably hang that straight off bottom of the cage. 

ChrisTheTiler
Getting Established

As a tiler, I have been visiting many owners' houses. I have seen some plants which the house owners chose to grow in order to repel unwanted insects such as flies. You can choose from  Basil, Mint, Rosemary,  Alliums, Chrysanthemums, Marigolds, Nasturtiums, Petunias, and Pitcher plants to Lavender. All of these plants emit smells that repel insects. 

Hi @ChrisTheTiler

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may try the lavender first, it can keep the flies away and keep me calm over the school holidays  LOL

Kylie23
Getting Established

@Deanna

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects