Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Planter boxes from a pallet

lcantem
Growing in Experience

Planter boxes from a pallet

Pallet.jpeg

Hi All,

I’m excited about joining this workshop.

I have 3 abandoned pallets which I want to convert into planter boxes. I’ve no idea how to start.

I plan them to be about 900mm long by 450mm wide and 600mm high. I’m also conscious that once filled, they can bulge with soil pressure sideways. Some advice on cross ties would be helpful. 

Kind Regards, 

Lester

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Planter boxes from a pallet

Lol everyone seems to have free pallets
If you are concerned with structural integrity
Then I suggest you use Treated Pine Frame
BTW if it's going to be placed onto a balcony or raised deck then you might want to read this

Check your Balconies & Raised Decks a timely reminder

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to have you onboard @lcantem. We're excited that you could join us and trust that you will receive lots of great advice and inspiration for this project and many others to come from our community members. 

We have lots of very keen pallet wood recyclers in the community, including @Yorky88@LePallet@Jamespeter100@ProjectPete and @woodalwaysworks. I'm sure they will be happy to give you a hand with this terrific planter box project. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Hi there
Can’t wait to see what you come up with. I have made a few planter boxes at that size but there a a lot of different ways you can build this. Being the size you what, you will have to take into consideration the amount of soil you are putting in, the weight of the finish product so you may want to put some coaster wheels on there for easy moving, and the structural side of things so by timber brace screwed in the middle from the inside side to side and you put one in the middle and maybe 100mm from top so you don’t see it and the soil will go around it.
I also had a timber post in each corner, then screw the pallets from
there. You may need a few good pallets for the total coverage and good luck finding the straight ones.

Here are a couple of pics of mine, all the best
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @LePallet,

Many thanks for the advice. I'm sure @lcantem appreciates your help. 

Unfortunately we didn't get your photos. Could you please try sharing them again?

Thanks,

Jason

Sporky
Building a Reputation

Hi Lester,

My husband made me a garden bed from fence palings, which is a simple design. He has a couple of pallets that he's pulling apart and the plan is to make similar garden beds from them :smile:

I can't wait to see your progress :smile:
lcantem
Growing in Experience

Planter Box from a pallet

Re-cycled pallet converted into a planter box PalletPallet

2DF417A9-0A4E-4AC5-AE0D-D85493E586BC.jpeg

Nails removedNails removed

Assembly.jpeg

Lined with recycled Laserlite.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Planter Box from a pallet

Fantastic work @lcantem. Many thanks for sharing.

I've moved your new post to your original discussion so that @Sporky@LePallet and other community members can more easily see what you came up with. 

Thanks again,

Jason

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Great stuff @lcantem you have to be happy with that 

lcantem
Growing in Experience

Cheers all. Now in the process of staining but the advice has been that stain will poison the plants/herbs. :unhappy: Any advice?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects