Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plant suggestions for hanging baskets

NothingSurvives
Getting Established

Plant suggestions for hanging baskets

I have many hanging baskets around the edge of a large covered outdoor area.  This area does get a lot of sun during most of the day.  I've changed the plants in these baskets so many times I'm almost bankrupt.  They need to be along the edge of the area is necessary as heads get knocked, so I figure I'm planting the wrong choice of plants that do not tolerate almost all day sun.  I thought geraniums would thrive but not so.  I have to accept my life sentence for plant murder but surely there are some great plants that could thrive in a sunny area in hanging baskets or I give up the whole idea and get pots and keep my feet on the ground.  I'm wearing thin of so often re-doing this.  I have a couple of pics of when it was looking great in early days.  Now RIP.  Poor plants.  p.s.  All plants bought at my local Bunnings.......ooooops  Thanks.

Hopes of herbs RIPHopes of herbs RIP

A trial at a cutting - deadA trial at a cutting - dead

2 of these now drooping - sad2 of these now drooping - sad

Good days - happy hereGood days - happy here

Re: Plant suggestions for hanging baskets

I second what Noelle said about calibrachoa. Mine is in full sun, it's growing brilliantly and is absolutely covered in flowers! I live in a sub-tropical climate so it's probably very similar to yours. Mine is in a plastic pot though, not a basket with coir lining. I'm guessing baskets would dry out more quickly.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with the community @Madcrazyartist. Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased to have you join us. Feel free to post anytime you have something to share or want to ask a question. We have helpful members sharing advice and inspiration every day so we're sure you'll fit right in!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lushgardener
Finding My Feet

I would try using spider plants. They are really hard, love the heat, and think are better in baskets then the garden, so their babies can't them take over the garden. They look really LUSH and are really easy to take care of. Also I would suggest some succulents, string of pearl, string of beans. And why not try putting a few devil's ivy or common ivy in a basket. Have fun giving these a go maybe. I'm happy with my baskets, so I wish you luck with yours also. 

15711684353282664514837089328336.jpg

15711685167034623976677900305817.jpg

15711685413375958006552159940265.jpg

Hi @lushgardener,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop and sharing your knowledge and experience. It sounds like you have a lot to offer the community. We look forward to reading more of your posts soon.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We have loads of clever and creative members sharing amazing projects and helpful advice every day, so we're sure you'll fit right in!

Please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Can you please tell me your watering schedule and when you water them do you soak them till the water comes out the bottom? What kind of soil did you use for your plants?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Is this a question for @Noelle @redracer01?

I'm sure she would be happy to help with tips on watering and how to pot hanging baskets. But it might help to let her know what kind of plants you have and where you are based. 

Thanks,

Jason

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @redracer01

Hanging planters need more frequent watering than pots sitting at ground level, especially if they are exposed to wind and also sun. Over summer you may need to water every day when it is warm/windy. A point to note:  if hanging plants are in full sun and the forecast is for high heat or strong, hot winds, take them down and put them in a shaded or protected spot so they don't 'fry'.

It's important to ensure hanging pots are thoroughly watered - until the excess is pouring from the bottom of the pots.  If you have hanging baskets (wire lined with coir or similar), take them down and soak each in a bucket of water until air bubbles cease to rise, then re-hang so excess water drains away.

Always use a premium quality potting mix for hanging planters - one that includes controlled release fertiliser, wetting agent and water-storing granules to keep plants healthy and assist in moisture absorption and retention.

deedums
Getting Established

Very bad news! I suggest the problem is the coir fibre baskets. They dry out very quickly and are really only for succulents and cactus which need excellent drainage. If you want to stick with those baskets, then install an auto-misting system. Bunnings sell them. We have a very simple misting system but it works really well in the hot summers where I put it on 3 times a day!The plant in the terracotta pot is probably getting too much water sitting in the saucer. I always cut back dead or dying plants and voila, they spring back to life. If you don't know the names of the plants, then join Facebook group, Plant Identification Australia and upload your pics. Then you can research to find out what growing conditions they like.

Also, plants have seasons where they die back naturally such as the Zygo cactus only flowering in spring/summer or the cold winter kills them.

Your terrace may be facing west so it is too hot for most plants except succulents and cactii. If it is west-facing, then put up shade cloth. I have a grow to sell plant business and lose many plants too so no need to feel bad! I have also given up on some species. Good luck with the next plantings.

Disneyland have the most stunning hanging baskets with a fabulous mix of complimentary plants if you are looking for great hanging basket ideas. I copy their "recipe" for their baskets to add a mix of colour: 1 Thriller (to create height and a vertical effect - I often pick a foilage plant such as coleous) 2 Filler (a mound type plant to fill the basket like calibrachoa or petunia, and maybe something like lobelia to add a fine flower as well), and 3 a spiller (to over hang the edge such as sweet potato vine, or money wort). At the moment I am in love with my super light pink pelargonium (ivy type) that are flowering like mad and look amazing in a hanging basket growing over the sides just on their own. I have a mix of a pale pink almost white flowering kind, with a red flowering kind in the same basket and it's absolutely stunning, low maintenance and grows so easily from cuttings. I have maiden hair ferns in coir pots, and they love moisture, and they have survived ok, but I do prefer plastic pots for my hanging baskets because they need more moisture. A hack for Coir fibre hanging baskets is that if you cut them with small slits, you can have the plant outside the basket, with the roots on the inside, as well as planting plants out the top. In warmer months, I like to water my hanging baskets daily, with a fortnightly dose of seasol.

Must be the first time we've had Disneyland as a source of inspiration on Workshop @Plantlover. Nice work! Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your thoughts. It's fantastic to have you join the community. We are looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop more useful for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects