Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting glazed pots

She_Skills
Having an Impact

Painting glazed pots

Hi all

I live in an apartment complex and we have just finished painting the whole building in some lovely shades of green (think natural earthy tones, not kermit). Problem is the large 10 bright blue glazed pots I bought for my plants now look out of place.  Any suggestions for painting over this type of glaze and getting it to stick?

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Painting glazed pots

My first thought would be to sand the pots to create a rough surface the paint could stick to, as obviously the glaze would be very smooth, and then use a spray paint.

I just tried Googling and there was a few other suggestions, including giving the surface two coats of PVA glue for the paint to bond to, two coats of Acrylic Sealer first before using acrylic paints, using rust remover first and roughing up the surface with a file first. You would also think that any paint that is designed to stick to glass should work...

This article seemed good - http://www.ehow.com/how_5756937_paint-glazed-ceramic-pots.html

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @She_Skills

Just wondering how you went with this project? Did you manage to successfully paint over the glaze?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I did try sanding and painting with a 2/1 primer and paint.  It looks okay, but I checked it out up close the other day and the paint on the top is flaking away.  I might just have to cut my losses.  Sell the pots I have and buy new ones or better yet, make recycled timber planters to replace them all!!

Thanks for the update Meg. That's a shame it hasn't bonded to the surface. Perhaps another member of the community might have a suggestion.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects