Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Organic makeover in progress

Big_Rod
Finding My Feet

Organic makeover in progress

Hi folks. I have just joined Workshop.  I am in the process of converting to production for organic fruit & veg - but without making my suburban backyard 'ugly'.  Giving up the glyphosate was the first step, once I found out that in 2015 the World Health Authority publicly listed this common weedkiller as 'probably carcinogenic to humans'.  It has also been linked to the collapse of bee colonies throughout the world, which affects pollination everywhere. Anyway, I look foward to learning with you throughout my journey.  Helpful advice and constructive criticism welcome.  Cheers.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Organic makeover in progress

Welcome to Workshop @Big_Rod. Many thanks for joining and for introducing yourself to the community. It sounds like you're working on a great project and I hope you can share regular updates (and some photos!) with the community. There are plenty of like-minded people here that I'm sure will be more than happy to share ideas and advice along the way.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Organic makeover in progress

I have just 'solarised' a garden bed that for 20 years was overrun by Ivy. The vegetation was manually cut-off, then I manually hoed the ground to remove as many of the roots as possible. Now I have pegged down double thickness of 200 micron black builders plastic, which I will leave in place for several months. This is to block light and water, and also 'cook' the regrowth.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects