Workshop
Ask a question

Tips for growing passionfruit

RosieW
Having an Impact

Tips for growing passionfruit

Passionfruit_flower07.jpg

I would really love to get a passionfruit going, but haven't had much success. I know they're heavy feeders so i prepared the soil thoroughly.

First one I planted about 7 years ago, died (I don't think it got enough sun). But the root stock is STILL popping up all over the place!

I tried again late last year - this time in its own garden bed in a sunny spot (to keep my dog out mainly) - again lots of compost, sheep manure. It died too.

The horticulturalist at Bunnings said it sounded like too much or too little water.  

I'd love to hear if others have had this happen to them too and any stories about what they do for happy healthy passionfruit.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: No luck with passionfruit

Better yet, ask her to join the community @Adam_W. :smile:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I would also be interested in a good variety to grow in Melbourne. Thanks for the advice @Adam_W.

Passion fruit in Melbourne /////////; mine grew over a 6 foot wire fence and maybe 8 foot wide; this was directly sun and northwind affected..clay soil... watered by the heavens and me in extreme high temperature ...it was a banana passion fruit ... the fruit was as long as the width of your hand and of course shaped like a banana.
i used to get buckets of fruit to give out to all the school mums and dads... i did nothing near the root systems at all... it grows i would say similar to a cactus... all love and care from a distance... good luck ... mine i took down when i had to take a tall tree down near it.. i am glad for you question it is very good. inspired me to join this workshop only to let you know the can be grown in Melbourne easily... thankyou for your time in reading this enjoy

Many thanks for sharing your experience @stvjenkins. I'm sure @RosieW appreciates the feedback.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us. I hope you find plenty of helpful information and inspiration from our members for your home improvement projects around the house and garden. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RosieW
Having an Impact

Thanks very much @stvjenkins. Doubly inspired - think i've been overthinking it! I'll give that a go. Really appreciate the response.
Rosie

Okay thankyou for those acknowledging me entering this group looks really interesting... 

i forgot to share this with you you seem sincere about giving it another go.... so dig the ground at least one foot deeper than you are going to plant the passionfruit ... then buy a liver and place it into the hole cover the liver with soil about 4 inches at least then plant the passionfruit cover with soil and leave now you are also in the running to take passionfruits to school for otehr families to enjoy you will have so many!!!!! let me know how it goes!!!!

Oh dear... somewhere in my little mind I was positive I'd answered this post... my bad.
My awesome Melbourne food growing expert said look at the Nellie Kelly range as they are grown in Victoria.

They can also give you selection advice.

RosieW
Having an Impact

Thanks for all the advice. I do feel it's a bit cold now, but will definitely give a Nellie Kelly another crack next spring. Thanks again, Rosie
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Is it too early to plant a new passionfruit vine in Melbourne @Adam_W

I assume I should wait until Spring and no more frosts?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects