Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

No fruit from passionfruit grown in pots

STAAReynolds
Getting Established

No fruit from passionfruit grown in pots

I have two large passionfruit vines I have planted in large pots running across wires screening a water tank. One is a yellow fruit, the other purple. They have thrived for two years and I have only had one single fruit for my efforts (see pic below). The vines themselves are lush and green but don’t flower. I’m in Brisbane, vines are in full sun position best part of the day. Part Shading in the morning and seem to like their location but I would love to see them flower and produce fruit. I’ve read a number of forums saying passionfruit won’t fruit in pots but have friends who have had success.I replicate their care routines, which is nothing special......soil has good drainage, water once a week, dynamic lifter scattered around the top of the pot every 8 weeks and a bit of potash. Any advice would be welcome. 

92200769-8B28-4A85-925E-4B16240BD030.jpeg

04A1CA14-0BF9-4AE2-85FA-DA28E521D10A.jpeg

Re: No fruit from passionfruit grown in pots

Thanks @woodenwookie I have transferred to larger pots, there is two plants, they are trellised and have completely covered the area they have been trellised for.  Lovely green lush leaves and growth, just no flowers, no fruit.

Tricia1
Finding My Feet

Do they flower?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Tricia1,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion. @STAAReynolds previously mentioned that her plants unfortunately weren't producing any flowers or fruit. 

Feel free to post anytime you have something to share or need a hand with your own projects around the house and garden. We have helpful members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day. 

Welcome to the Workshop community,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Tricia1, no as mentioned in my original post, no flowers for nearly 2 years now. Lots of lush green growth, no flowers 😕

Have you tried using some potash or something similar to sweeten the soil?

@Tricia1 Yes to potash. Original query in case you missed it. 

I have two large passionfruit vines I have planted in large pots running across wires screening a water tank. One is a yellow fruit, the other purple. They have thrived for two years and I have only had one single fruit for my efforts (see pic below). The vines themselves are lush and green but don’t flower. I’m in Brisbane, vines are in full sun position best part of the day. Part Shading in the morning and seem to like their location but I would love to see them flower and produce fruit. I’ve read a number of forums saying passionfruit won’t fruit in pots but have friends who have had success.I replicate their care routines, which is nothing special......soil has good drainage, water once a week, dynamic lifter scattered around the top of the pot every 8 weeks and a bit of potash. Any advice would be welcome. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects