Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New sprinkler install

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

New sprinkler install

IMG_20190227_150611.jpgIve been meaning to do this for a while -  My front yard only has x1 impact sprinkler - it really needs at least x2 (my backyard has x4 semi-permanent ones I already put in)

I finally got around to installing a extra permanent front sprinkler yesterday, and I replaced the old existing one as well which was leaking underground with bad connections and had a leaky rusted out thread where the sprinkler screws on as well.

The job took 1 hour with some 19mm poly pipe,19mm hose clamps, 19mm elbow, 19mm T piece with a female 15mm connector, 19mm elbow with a female 15mm connector, 1200mm long "risers" with 15mm "joiner" connectors screwed onto the end so I could screw 15mm impact sprinklers on (all from memory I think its correct though lols)

Thought I would post up the job so I can see the improvement (hopefully) in my front  lawn next summer :smile:

IMG_20190227_122047.jpgIMG_20190227_125107.jpgIMG_20190227_130628.jpgIMG_20190227_135441.jpgIMG_20190227_140110.jpgIMG_20190227_141851.jpgIMG_20190227_141901.jpgIMG_20190227_142628.jpgIMG_20190227_142811.jpgIMG_20190227_144009.jpgIMG_20190227_145116.jpgIMG_20190227_150611.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New sprinkler install

Great work @Prawns. It's been a very hot summer for so many of us. I'm sure many community members will be inspired by your work and keen to see the difference next year. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Cheers Jason :smile:

Yeah it was a really hot summer here as well, Hopefully we get some decent rain soon as some people with shallow water bores around here have actually run dry!

My bores still going but I reprogrammed the timer on it so that Im home when it switches on so I can keep a eye on the output (got the timer from bunnings as well actually - nothing but good things to say about the timer its easy to program and override even has a setting for daylight savings lol)

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-7day-digital-timer-1min-increments_p7030060

Looks wonderful Prawns.

Your (front) lawn looks good with new sprinklers. It may need a bit of manure to make it lush. Backyard lawn looks great. I think popup sprinklers would be a good choice than raised impact sprinklers - especially when you want to save water. With popup sprinkles you can precisely control area to water. I tried KRain K2 Sprinklers. Worth the money : https://www.bunnings.com.au/k-rain-5-k2-gear-drive-sprinkler_p3131628
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and making your first post @MrDruitt. I'm sure @Prawns appreciates the feedback.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. We're pleased you could join us and encourage you to share your own projects with the community. Feel free to post whenever you have something to share or need a hand. And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

All the best,

Jason

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

@MrDruitt Cheers mate :smile:

Yep the front yard needs some loving thats for sure. Its all "hardpack sand" unfortunatly and its really hard even just getting grass started from seed there :unhappy: Moo poo is definatly on the list (along with another box of grass seed for another try hahahahha)

Ive actually got plans to install popup sprinklers in the backyard in the future - so I definatly appreciate the recommendation of the K Rain K2 :smile: I was going to install them out front as well but Ive never used them before so shied away a bit incase the odd car driving over them might be a issue.

When we moved here the backyard was pretty aweful, As a "stop gap" measure I ran garden hose underground to 4 places and have just been using impact sprinklers on a "spike" until I figured out the locations where I want permanent popup sprinklers installed (I do want popups for sure for the backyard as the impact sprinklers shoot a stream of water out to the side as well on every impact - all over the glass windows out back etc where popups wouldnt do that hahahha)

Have a good one and cheers for the input :smile:

@Prawns wrote:
Yep the front yard needs some loving thats for sure. Its all "hardpack sand" unfortunatly and its really hard even just getting grass started from seed there

what seeds did you go with and when is best time to seed?

Thanks for joining in the discussion @RaceQuest. I'm sure @Prawns and many other Workshop members will be happy to help with your lawn. Where are you based and what's the condition of your lawn currently? 

You might also appreciate the advice in popular discussions like this:

How to improve your lawn

Diary of a lawn makeover

Lawn has suffered over summer

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden or have something to share. We look forward to reading about all your projects and plans.

Jason

@RaceQuest 

Ive been using "Brunnings tough lawn mix" which is a couch grass apparently

Worked great on my backlawn for filling in patches and areas as well over time

My lawns a bit of a mix of grasses so it didnt bother me what type I got (although i told the wife to avoid buffalo as theres none here  - and buffalo seems to have specific requirements with weed killers/bindi killers and things?)

For the price of a box - I wasnt too worried about what season it was when I was fixing the backyard to be honest - but i did avoid winter as everything grows alot slower and I had to keep chicken wire on parts of the lawn to keep the dog off the baby grass (I didnt want to extend that timeline of the baby grass getting established as it was a hassle with mowing and the chickenwire then hahaha)

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Great effort to see you putting some Sprinklers in. Sure your lawn will benefit.

I used to work in the Sprinkler business and if you are looking to upgrade any time soon I would suggest getting some design help from an expert. They would probably reccomend that you put sprinklers in the corners of the block and having them set at 1/4 circle. You'll get a better watering pattern and it will be more efficient - won't be wetting the paths and driveway. Also gear driven pop-ups will be more efficient than impact driven sprinklers on risers and they won't get in the way of your mowing.

I work at Bunnings and we sell these K-RAIN ones: https://www.bunnings.com.au/k-rain-k5-gear-drive-sprinkler_p3130642  

There are other brands though such as Toro or Rainbird.

Good luck with it and sure your lawn will be better soon with the extra water. Message me if you want to know more.

krain pop up sprinkler.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects