Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Native bee hives

kagey
Finding My Feet

Native bee hives

images.jfifI am a backyard gardener of absolutely no repute! I garden for boredom relief and the ability to snack on fresh produce.

Many media releases keep reminding us of the slow demise of the environment and I would like to do my bit by providing habitats for beneficial insects. I have read articles on building native bee hives and " homes " for wasps and other " good bug friends " so if anyone out there has some good ideas they woild be greatly appreciated, keeping in mind that my building skills are on a par with my gardening skills.

Thank you

Ken

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Native bee hives

Hi Ken (@kagey)

We all have to start from somewhere! Hopefully you'll receive plenty of great advice and inspiration from Workshop members to help improve your skills and knowledge. And good on you for wanting to do your bit for the environment. 

You might be interested in this previous discussion on Workshop - Would you share your backyard with bees?

I'm looking forward to seeing what other members might contribute to the topic.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I was given an insect house that looks a little like this. I hung it up on the fence and it looks pretty but I haven't seen a single insect or bee use it! It's probably in the wrong location....

Would also appreciate any tips.

Bug-Biome-Home.jpg

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @kagey @Isobel

This article may be able to help as it explains the building and placement of insect homes:
Insect Hotels - Encourage Beneficial Insects Into Your Garden

Regards
Dee 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

This doesn't look too difficult @kagey - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/pets-and-wildlife/how-to-make-a-beehive

If you take the measurements into Bunnings you can usually get them to cut the wood for you. Best to go in during a quieter time. 

theQuinny
Getting Established

Ok - here we go, first post.

I have tetragonula carbonaria native bees. They're stingless and are very easy to keep. They are more temperature sensitive than European honey bees & are probably more happy north of NSW / QLD border. You can get honey from them if you wish, but I like them to assist pollination in the garden. My hive is similar to the one in the video, but the timber is about twice that thickness to help with insulation. Start getting concerned when temperatures are going over 38 - 40 degrees ... a really hot day can kill a hive.

If I can figure out how to post a photo I'll put one up.

Regards,

Q

Many thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge @theQuinny. Great to have you join us. Welcome to the community. 

We hope you find plenty of helpful information and inspiration for your projects from other community members and look forward to reading about your projects and plans. 

To add a photo to a post, just hit the Photos button above the text editor or the large Upload Images button just below the text editor. Please let me know if you have any trouble. I'd be happy to assist.

Thanks again,

Jason

theQuinny
Getting Established

2018-04-27 08.24.16.jpg

Thanks Jason.

Thanks for sharing @theQuinny, that looks great. 

And I'm sure @kagey and other community members appreciate the input. 

Give me a shout if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@kageyI've built a few Native beehouses before, they are really easy to make and fun too. I'll see what pictures I can dig up.IMG_20180129_132118.jpgIMG_20180129_132325.jpgIMG_20180129_131848.jpgIMG_20180208_152748.jpgIMG_20180208_153037.jpg

All these were made from recycled Bunnings Pallets, the idea was to reduce good timber going to land fill whilst also providing a home for Bees.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects