Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mystery holes in lawn

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Mystery holes in lawn

MysteryHoles.jpg

Hi Garden Gurus,

Some mystery holes recently appeared on my front lawn which I have never seen before and I'm stumped as to what has caused them...

There are about 20 holes randomly spaced across the lawn...

They are about 4" in diam ( not even..obviously dug by an animals feet) and only about 4" or 5" deep..

Anyone have any idea what might be doing this?

I live on a hill overlooking the River Murray.

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: Mystery Holes

According to my gardener (who lives down the road from me ) it's an Echidna that digs those sorts of holes..He's seen the same holes at other places..

It evidently only happens around the same time each year..

The local Ghost Gums shed their bark and bring down ants in the bark..and that's what brings Echidna's around..

Mystery solved..

bergs
Making a Splash

hi @Prof, it's good to work out what's causing a problem because then you can take action if required to rectify the problem. I think an Echidna would be great, the grand kids would love it.
Cheers bergs
Be happy and care for your tools
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How wonderful to have an Echidna share your property @Prof. I hope you get to meet him one day!

Thanks for the update.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Jason I have actually seen the Echidna..
As I mentioned previously, one walked up the driveway when I first moved in..and I never saw it again..
bergs..your grand kids would have loved it because it walked past me by only a few feet and didn't take any notice of me! It was almost like a pet..
rickyB
Just Starting Out

Re: Mystery holes in lawn

this is most likely wolf spiders i have these holes all over my lawn as well and i was watering my grass one night and seen a rather large spider come out of one of the many holes so the next day i went to each hole with bug spray and a wolf spider came from each one but i still get them now and again but spray them and its no problem 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing your experience with the Workshop community @rickyB. We are pleased to have you join us. Let me extend a very warm welcome.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Well oddly enough, since I last wrote..all the holes have gone !! 😕  It's like they were never there !! There's not even a slight depression like you might see if they had been filled in..Weird !!!

Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

Just saw this old discussion pop up and it instantly reminded me of when we had mysterious holes in our new back yard.

It freaked the younger kids out and I didn't help things when I showed them video from the "Tremors" movies on YouTube. :laugh:

20180429_173340.jpg20180429_173358.jpg20180429_173424.jpg

Cobra
Just Starting Out

We have a shack on the Murrray at Morgan and have had over 200 holes dug in the river side lawn in the last 3 months. Almost positive it's Echidnas but how do we deter them.They only come out at night . HELP !! 

Cobra
Just Starting Out

20200506_154908.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects