Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My kikuyu is dying after I built a larger fence that blocked the sun. How would I be able to fix it?

Saia
Just Starting Out

My kikuyu is dying after I built a larger fence that blocked the sun. How would I be able to fix it?

Hey I recently built a larger fence and my kikuyu grass is dying in the new shade area. While my grass that still has sun is thick and lush is it possible I can mix my kikuyu with a shade tolerant grass or a cold season grass? 

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: My kikuyu is dying after I built a larger fence that blocked the sun. How would I be able to ...

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Saia. I'm sure our ever-helpful members will be happy to assist with your lawn problem, as well as many other projects around the house and garden in the future. 

Let me tag resident lawn-care expert @Adam_W to see if he might be able to kindly share his thoughts with you. But in the meantime, you might like to let us know where you are based, what kind of soil you have, and perhaps also share a photo of the area so members can see what you are working with. Providing as much detail as possible enables our members to provide much more specific advice in return.

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: My kikuyu is dying after I built a larger fence that blocked the sun. How would I be able to ...

Howdy @Saia & welcome.
Kikuyu definitely will not like that sudden shade. For a longer-term plan maybe have a look at returfing the impacted areas with a more shade tolerant grass variety.
For a short-term, so you don't end up with a dust bowl... go for a sun & shade seed blend to over-sow which I know Bunnings sell but I can't find it on their webpage.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects