Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My Chickens have stopped laying

lvdm50
Finding My Feet

My Chickens have stopped laying

My Chickens have stopped laying eggs can any body explain what the reason may be?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: My Chickens have stopped laying

Welcome to Workshop @lvdm50 and thanks for making your first post.

We've previously had a popular discussion here on Workshop about backyard chickens so I know some members of the community have chickens and might be able to assist. Let me alert @Darren@Jackson@Blawson and @timjeffries to your post and hopefully they will have some suggestions for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
timjeffries
Making a Splash

Hi @lvdm50, I've had this happen a few times. I stole this explanation from here.

"Declining day length

Hens are sensitive to day length, and particularly to the direction in which day length is changing, when it comes to laying eggs. Declining day lengths discourage egg production. It is not unusual for a flock owner to have hens go out of production in the latter part of summer and in the fall because the days are getting shorter."

There are a bunch of other reasons on that site but that seemed the most likely to me. :smile:

Thank for the help I though that was it but was not sure it's nice to have it confirmed

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects