Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Make a frog pot

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Make a frog pot

1 Frog Pot.jpg

Currently at work we are installing frog ponds in schools around the local area. One of the challenges has been establishing plant life to provide shelter from predators. Getting frogs to lay is relatively easy, a saucer full of water is generally all they need, but predation of the juvenile frogs takes a massive toll.

Whilst establishing the environment around the pond we came up with an easy and cheap portable home until more suitable plant growth comes in. 

All you'll need- Two pots, one larger than the other

A large saucer

A bolt with nut and washers

Sphagnum moss + terrarium plants2 What You'll Need.jpg

Simply connect the two pots with the bolt and washers 3 Join Pots With Bolt.jpg

Add sphagnum moss to saucer and add terrarium plants around the exterior4 Fill saucer with Spagnum Moss.jpg

Then water till the Sphagnum greens back up (generally it is still alive, but dormant in the bag) may take several days5 Water + Add Mini Plants.jpg

The gap between the two pots allows the frogs access inside and prevents predators getting to them.6 Gap To Enter.jpg

Through capillary action the inside pot draws water up from the base and keeps the top pot wet, similar to a bushman's fridge it keeps the whole unit cool and humid inside.7 Water Getting Drawn Up.jpg

This would be a perfect project for the kids on a weekend, they could decorate the top too. Plus if you sneak out in the day time and lift the pot, you may find the frogs taking refuge.

The Australian museum also has a great free app for identifying frogs by their call. As a species which is so susceptible to environmental change, they are a great indicator species for the health of the environment around us.

Aus Museum Frog ID APP download

Happy Frogging!!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Pest
Just Starting Out

Re: Make a frog pot

Is artificial grass on bottom saucer ?

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Pest Welcome to the workshop community! 

If you are asking if it is artificial grass, no it is sphagnum moss.

If you as asking if you could use artificial turf, yes you could but I'm not sure how much the froggos would like it.

I hope that answers you question.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Pest,

Great to see you receive such a prompt response from Mitch. We are looking forward to seeing you create your own frog pot! Hopefully it's the first of many projects shared with the Workshop community. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand. As you've discovered, we have amazing community members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day. We trust you'll get loads of helpful information and advice. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Oh wow 😮 I absolutely love this 🐸🐸🐸 What a fantastic creation 😊

Janfay
Finding My Feet

frog pot

hi, when making the frog pot do you soak the moss or just wet it, and then do you water it or let it do it’s own thing?

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: frog pot

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Janfay. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I would suggest soaking the moss before placing it into the saucer. It would be best if you then placed the frog pot in a sheltered area that does not receive direct sunlight. My advice would be to fill the saucer once every few days in summer with water, so the pot and moss do not dry out completely.

It would be great to see some pictures of your frog pot once you have completed it.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

Re: frog pot

Thank you Mitchell  will do!

janine

Annea
Getting Established

Re: Make a Frog Pot!

Hi MitchellM,

How is the frog pond going? Am thinking of making one to put near the garden pond when we’ve installed and got it going. I was wondering if mozzies are an issue or do the frogs take care of that? 
Anne

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Annea,

I don't actually have a pond, so to speak; I have a pool which is freshwater and not maintained. It's a long story, but the homeowner doesn't want to fix the issues. I've watched thousands of frogs grow up from tadpoles in it and I have countless frogs inhabiting my backyard in every nook and cranny you can think of. I also have a long neck turtle that lives in there. This frog pot was made for people that have an open pond and nowhere for the frogs to find shelter. It's perfect for a school activity when we go out and install frog ponds with them.

I'd encourage you to install a water feature that keeps the water moving as mozzies like stagnant water. You can use natural products which don't hurt frogs like the Aquapro 35g Bionatural Algae Block With Mosquito Repellent Pond Feature to prevent mosquitos. Frogs do eat mosquito larvae, but I would advise you to try preventing them as well. 

Mitchell

Annea
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell.

It sounds like you’ve taken a bad situation with the pool and made it work for you. I’ve read articles and seen videos of amazing pool makeovers which have been turned into freshwater habitats and used as pools which works well. Thanks for all the extra information and advice, especially about https://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-35g-bionatural-algae-block-with-mosquito-repellent-pond-feature_... which I hadn’t come across before and will definitely try out.

Lots of frogs and turtles live here as well, there’s a large dam adjacent to the garden. I plan on there being several water solar powered features throughout the garden. Frog pots will be a perfect addition. I’ll try and post some photos as we go along. It’s a long term project.

Anne

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects