Workshop
Ask a question

Low profile deck

hadi
Growing in Experience

Low profile deck

IMG_0649.jpegHi all,

I've been planning to build a low profile deck for about 4 months now. Been trying to discover what's envolved and how  I can build it.

Currently we have a pavers in the backyard which I'm trying to convert a part of it to a deck and the rest will transform later to white pebbles and some big black tiles in between.

The issue I'm currently facing and need help to decide is: from the pavers to backyard window (which is the entrace to the backyard from the house) I have 14cm height only. 

So I have two options:

1- to remove the whole pavers from the backyard, dig a bit to open up some space which for me is a quite an effort and will take time to complete. (P.S: I'm a full time employee working in industry and this is my first deck to build. I'm quite handy and I've refloor our house [remove carpet and put luxury vinyl] )

2- Use the pedestal (https://www.bunnings.com.au/builders-edge-pedestal-foot-smallfoot-35-60mm_p2450074) and put the bearers and joist inline with eachother. 

So the deck I'm trying to build is 6 meters by 7 meters. I'm open to any ideas and help please.

If you need more information let me know as well.

I've just took out some of bricks and the underneath was a bit of sand and then concrete.

IMG_1043.jpegIMG_3554.jpegIMG_8613.jpegIMG_8878.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Low profile deck

Hi @hadi,

Thanks for making your first post. Great to have you join us.

This is a common topic and we look forward to seeing how your deck progresses. If you could add some photos it would really help members see what you are working with.

You might also find these other decking discussions useful:

Of course there's also lots of D.I.Y. advice about decks on the Bunnings website, too.

Hope that helps get you started.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi @hadi
Thanks for the link to adjustable risers I'll have to get a few for site/inspections/repair jobs
I would definitely use them on a concrete slab base, not certain about resting/fixing then on Brick pavers for such a large deck?
As @Jason Mentioned Photos do help others, the better the photos, sketches and Information the better the reply
Other factors to consider,
1. Soil type , slope and drainage away from the house footings?
2. Nearby trees, plants ?
3. Effectiveness, cost, alternatives, etc,etc?
hth

hadi
Growing in Experience

Thanks man for the reply. 

I'll sort out the photos as soon as I get home today. I'll upload great quality photos :smile:

1- Soil type = not sure what's underneath brick pavers. I'll live in west pennant hills in NSW. I assume it's a just normal soil. The brick pavers aren't very old. About 15 years I think. They're solid like concrete, one of the issue is if I want to dig them up requires a large effort.

2- There won't be any big plants or trees around as I'm doing the whole backyard reno. On one side it would be grass, on the top end it would be a raised bed and I'm going to use the raised bed wall and construct a bench to connect to it and the deck later on.

3- I'm trying to build this as cheapest possible but I wouldn't compromise quality for the cost. I think just wanted to reduce the labour cost as when I asked couple of guys to qoute me the labour cost was around $10 - $12k which was not affordable right now :smile:

I'm open to other alternatives as well. As I mentioned I'm trying to build an entertainment area for the family. Right now it's just the pavers and bunch of small plants, a low level hedge and grass which together doesn't provide us a good looking backyard. Again I'm going to build a pergola on top of the deck but hasn't decided yet what type of pergola or awning.

Thanks

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Hi @hadi

I built my deck at ground level over existing pavers and used the "Good Times" modular decking frames from Bunnings.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/good-times-90-x-45mm-modular-decking-base-frame-kit_p8451187

They were very easy to put together and very sturdy when all joined up. Mine was just under 14 cm high and leveled it to the back door. You can get adjustable footings to even things out if needed. I then went over the top of that with treated pine decking timber as the cheapest option for me, then stained it. Hope you have fun and love your finished deck as much as I did with mine.

Stuart.

deck 01.jpg

hadi
Growing in Experience

Hi @Stuardo

Thanks for shring. 

This is a great product but I wasn't sure if I can customise the size. Have you done that when you were building yours ?

Also the other quesition is that which type of leg you've installed ? or you just laid them on the ground ? Do you have more pics before laying the treated pines decking boards ?

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi @hadi
Thanks for the photos here is my response to your points
1.Check to see if you soil is clay, your councils Building department should help, you don't need a geotech report
If it's clay make sure the rain is draining away from the House Foundations, leave the bricks in place, remove those for Posts/Stirrups,etc

2.Guide to  Foundation Maintenance & Footing Performance
3.on labour Costs, $12k/50m2 = $240m2 (Ouch nuf said) 

BTW  Material costs  start around.$100m2,

If you're planning in the future  to extend or repurpose your " Goodtime/Entertainment Deck"  into a  Pergola and then later into a Indoor Out door room?  please check with your council regarding Planning and Building  Compliance requirements

Temporary Decks or platforms are costly & difficult to upgrade/repurpose. hth

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Hi @hadi,

Yes I did customise, along the fence as it becomes a triangle shape there, but that was easy to cut and allow for.

Most of the deck was just the square modules fitting together nicely then some simple carpentry for the angle of the fence. I drew it all up on graph paper first to scale and worked out what I needed to do and buy. I was advised that with the deck being low to the ground I would require a min 5mm gap between decking boards to allow for airflow.

The deck started directly on the pavers at the doorway and only some small height adjustment in some uneven areas and I screwed in steel angle where required to stabilise. The legs from Good Time were too big for the requirements. Sorry I don't have any before photos without the decking boards. Six months later I had a patio cover professionally built over the top of the deck and all council inspected and certified. Best thing I ever did.

Regards,

Patio Finished.jpg

hadi
Growing in Experience

Thanks, I've decided to use the same for frame and for the decking board I use Merbau decking boards.

hadi
Growing in Experience

I've removed some of the brick pavers and surprisingly underneath was a bit of sand and then concrete. The concrete wasn't smooth as like concrete slabs though. I've decided to go with the Good times decking frames and use the 50mm seat posts and remove only bricks where the post would sit. 

I've checked with the two landscape designers and they both said I don't need council approval for deck and pergola as it doesn't reach to the neighbours boundry line. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects