Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lots of tomatoes coming soon

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lots of tomatoes coming soon

Here's what our tomato plants currently look like. We grew from seed this season and are expecting a big crop very soon.

tomatoes.jpg

How are your tomato plants doing? I'd love to see your photos.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Lots of tomatoes coming soon

I noticed a few this morning are turning red - not long now...

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

And we're in business...

toms.jpg

How are your tomatoes going?

Jason

How does the taste compare to store-bought tomatoes, @Jason?

bergs
Making a Splash

IMG_20170210_114723 (2).jpgIMG_20170210_114608 (2).jpgIMG_20170210_114700.jpg

Hello all, well done Jason with your tomatoes.

The first photo is of tomatoes yet to ripen, second photo of my tomato bushes (they are over six foot high). The tomatoes were slow at the start as the weather was up and down and I don't think there were enough bees about to pollinate them. There's plenty of flowers now and also bees, so tomatoes are are forming now so the crop will be a bit late this year. I have only one tomato ripen of the larger variety but there are many cherry tomatoes which self seeded from the compost that I let grow so we are getting plenty of them. The third photo is of one cherry tomato that self seeded. There are plenty of small tomatoes ripening at the moment.

In my opinion the home grown tomatoes (in fact all home grown veges) have more flavour than the ones from the shops. 

Cheers:bigsmile:and happy gardening

Be happy and care for your tools
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jackson

We haven't eaten any yet but will have to get cracking soon. I think we are about to have a big harvest. Like @bergs, I think anything fresh and home-grown is going to taste great. 

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Big harvest yesterday. Also picked the first jalapenos and more monster cucumbers.

Jason

harvest.jpg 

Emily
Cultivating a Following

Terrible photo, but Ive already got a fair amount of tomatoes from my plants and it looks like there's plenty more coming!

I have found that I'm start to get a fair amount of brown branches/leaves on my plants though, is this normal? You can see some of them in the photo.. I'm watering frequently and feed them with liquid fertiliser every couple of weeks.

tomatoes.jpeg

How are you watering @Emily? I wonder whether you are watering on a hot day and the leaves are getting burnt? I try to use a soaker hose as much as possible for a slow trickle into the soil. Anyway, your plants and fruit look terrific so you could simply prune off any unwanted branches. Do so with sharp secateurs and in the morning to minimise the chance of disease. 

Emily
Cultivating a Following

I just water using a watering can, so most of the water is directed at the base of the plants but there is definitely some splashing that would reach the leaves - I'll try to minimise that and also make sure I'm only watering in the mornings. Unfortunately the location of the garden beds compared to the tap means that manual hand watering is really the only option.

I'll also give them a bit of a prune/tidy and see how they go. The fruit coming off them certainly hasn't been affected at least!

Thanks for the tips @greygardener!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects