Workshop
Ask a question

Lawn - Watering and growing of grass

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

Lawn - Watering and growing of grass

Hello Members,

Hope you are doing well. 

Contractors laid our garden from where we were watering lawn; Wondering on time and the pattern to water the grass. I hold water that last for 3 Seconds (approx.) on grass area of 1/2ft X 1/2ft at 'Shower' water pattern. Is that time sufficient for the grass to grow. [ Please refer to the attached photos ]

Lawn - in brown and greenLawn - in brown and greenWhole LawnWhole LawnLawn - Close look at the grassLawn - Close look at the grass

Being 3 weeks from the start of lay down of grass, at some spots the grass is getting browny and the underlay soil is getting exposed.

Is the method which I'm following now is correct. Should I doctor the method for any reasons for green and thicker grass.

Your experience in growing lawn and comments are appreciated.

Thanks

M.Muthu

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Lawn - Watering and growing of Grass

Where are you based @nagumuthu and what type of turf has been laid?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello Jason,

I'm based at North Kellyville. Please find the certificate for the grass as below.

nagumuthu_0-1599115648589.png

Thanks

M.Muthu

Hi M.Muthu (@nagumuthu),

Generally, grass doesn't grow all that much during the cooler months and often browns off. What you are seeing is a fairly classic representation of a lawn that has been laid over winter. I'd encourage you to apply some Seasol 2L Buffalo Lawn Fertiliser Twin Pack to the area now and then in several weeks apply Scotts Lawn Builder 4kg Buffalo Slow Release Lawn Fertiliser. I've been lead to believe you shouldn't apply the chemical fertiliser (Scotts lawn builder) until the lawn has established, that's why I suggest waiting.

Let me mention @Adam_W to see if he would like to add to the conversation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @nagumuthu Looks to me like everything is pretty much as it should be and you are doing things right.
@MitchellMc has given some sound advice there.
You can apply a chemical-based fertiliser but you do need to be very careful with the application rates. So a regular Lawn Builder you'd only apply at 1/2 rates or use their turf starter variety at normal rates.
What you are seeing is pretty typical for lawn lain in winter especially as around Kellyville can still be frosty.
You'll likley find that browning off is on the turf roll joints where it is drying faster and isn't in contact with the soil quite as well (turf tends to contract & curl up a little on the edges).

One way to fix this is to get a quality top dressing or turf underlay mix and spread this over the joints and then water.
In regards to watering... that's always the juggling act with new turf. You need that Goldilocks zone - not too wet, not too dry. I will say though that more turf will die from under-watering than over watering so err on the side of a little extra rather than a little less.

As long as a good underlay in a nice thick layer was used getting too wet shouldn't be a problem as underlay soil is very free-draining. See if you can find a typical spot and just check if the soil is moist or dry. Remember, aim for moist, not wet. But you will be surprised how fast it can dry out. Nights may still be cool but you get a day or two above 25˚ with a bit of wind and it will be bone-dry.
All-in-all I'd see that it's doing pretty much as expected for this time of year & in a few weeks it will kick-in big-time especially if you give it a bit of a feed now.
Good luck! And keep us updated on progress :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects