Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Keep my mint alive!

greenthumbfail
Getting Established

Keep my mint alive!

Any ideas? My balcony mint plant is failing. I'm on my 4th attempt... it flourishes for a week or two, then overnight it's gone! I've changed the soil, given it seasol etc. nothing seems to work. Pls help

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Keep my mint alive!

Welcome to Workshop @greenthumbfail. It's great to have you join the community. 

I'm sure the community will have some suggestions for you. At our place mint grows like crazy - it's containing it that's the tricky part! Can you please tell us how much sun your balcony gets? And what are you planting it in?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

I've always found mint really easy to grow. It does need a lot of water though or it will dry up within a day or so!

Benskimo
Making a Splash

Hey there - like the others have said, mint *should* thrive just about anywhere. Normally you can't kill it with an axe. Check that it has plenty of sun, and keep it watered (like it sounds like you're doing). When you say it's 'gone', do you mean it wilts and dies? Or is getting eaten? You might have a plague of angry aphids up there on your balcony or something...?

timjeffries
Making a Splash

Where are you based? I find that in summer my mint goes crazy and in the winter it basically disappears... I'm in Geelong, Victoria.

I think I had a plague. Bought it inside with more sun and water and it's back!mint's back.jpeg

Thanks for getting back to me! Turns out I had a plague of aphids (eeewwww!) so I cleaned the plant, bought it inside, gave it plenty more water & sun and BOOM! Back baby!mint's back.jpeg

Awesome! Looks beautiful now. :smile:

How's your mint going now @greenthumbfail?

I hope its still thriving. Planting anything else?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi every one, I live in Perth and can only grow mint thru the winter, it's just too hot and dry in summer. I have to be vigilant tho, because the little green catipillars will strip it bare. Also keeping it trimmed, makes it bushy. I freeze as I go, means I always have a supply.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects