Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Japanese Maple Tree

crimsonqueen
Growing in Experience

Japanese Maple Tree

MAPLECRIMQU_006.jpg

Hello! we just got a Japanese maple tree I believe it's crimson queen. It's too beautiful we have to bring it home.

I'm afraid it's not going to survive in the nursery pot so wondering if anyone know what potting mix is best if transfer to a bigger pot?

I'm reluctant to place it in our garden as the weather here is unpredictable. Sometimes hot and super windy.

What do you think?

Thank you !

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Japanese Maple Tree

Hi @crimsonqueen,

Welcome to the Workshop community. That looks like a beautiful tree. Do you know how large it will grow?

Have you seen resident horticulturalist @Noelle's excellent step-by-step guide to How to pot a plant? It includes advice on how to choose a pot, how to choose the right potting mix, and how to complete the big move. 

If you let us know where you are based, members like Noelle might also suggest some tips for caring for the tree. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
crimsonqueen
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the response!
The tree will stay small but just the leaves keep growing I think its a stunt version of a maple tree.
Im in west side of Victoria

Hi Crimsonqueen, I've got a couple of Japanese maples (the same as you have, beautiful leaves) and I've found them to be very hardy, able to handle the hot weather and wind. I've got them planted in my front yard which is fully exposed to the afternoon sun and wind and they are both thriving.

But if you are planning on keeping yours in a pot I would just use any decent potting mix, I don't believe they need anything fancy. Mine were planted in bulk garden soil mix and all my plants are doing well. Good luck.

Hey @RoninZX-10R,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences with your Japanese maples. I'm sure @crimsonqueen really appreciates it. Maybe she will now consider planting them instead of using pots.

It's fantastic to see you make your first post after being a member for almost a full year! Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about Workshop. It would be great to read more about your projects and plans. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the response!

Yeah the leaves are so pretty I think I baby it too much.

I felt better to let it out now hopefully it will thrive at my front yard. 

Would be nice to see your version of the tree, when u r free to post of course.

Thank you!

20191102_154317.jpg

 I planted the maple in May I think, looked like it died during winter but came alive once spring hit. Please ignore all the weeds, the recent sun and rain have been perfect for the damn weeds 🤔

Thank you for the photo! Looks great, my current tree has some burnt leaves not sure why but it sure will like the rain that will probably last a month.

75380343_450384932257364_1575672270808940544_n.jpg

Weeds are so annoying! I spent an hour pulling them, planning to fight the weeds with cardboard when I got time.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects