Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Improving soil to suit both natives and vegies

RosieW
Having an Impact

Improving soil to suit both natives and vegies

dirt.jpg

I live in Sth East of Melb with 2 totally different types of seriously terrible water-repellent soil! 2/3 is dense wet heavy black clay, 1/3 is sandy soil.

I hope to apply the same solution to both soils by digging in lots of pea straw, compost and cow manure to the garden beds. 

Although I know this would be ok for vegies, is it suitable for Aust natives? I heard that Aust Natives don't like fertiliser.

Anything I should be careful of here?

Branchy249
Cultivating a Following

Re: Improving soil to suit both natives and vegies

Hi Rosie,

You are certainly on the right way to increasing your soil quality by adding lots of organic matter (compost, pea straw and cow manure). To assist with the breakdown of clay you can also apply some gypsum. 

Australian Natives do like fertiliser and need to be fertilised like any other plants - but they like specific fertiliser that contains a lower level of Phosphorous. 

Generally ensure that your compost and manure is well composted and broken down. Some manures are quite strong at the start and can burn your plants but if well composted and broken down you should be ok.

Hope this helps!

Great advice! Good luck @RosieW.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RosieW,

Been out in the garden lately? I'm keen to hear if you've made any progress with improving your soil following @Branchy249's excellent advice. 

I recently spread a lot of gypsum in our backyard to help breakdown the clay after our backyard was turned upside down during building works. We also got some beautiful topsoil in. Next step is to get some mulch before the weeds arrive! 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Jason    What is gypsum???  I have it on my walls, and I guess you are not talking about walls????

I killed a native with seaseol from Bunnings.... said it had no whateve  no code starting or having a P,  and it is dead dead dead.... so had to buy a new one.....

I am lazy most times,   I just dig in my excess bins people give me with bottom out and layer with paper leaves grass and vegie scraps.   When I am totally lazy... I just blend the scraps mix with water and throw over garden....  probably not good for native,  but they are on other side of driveway,  with all the  rocks, crushed concret,  leaves, grass  and some ornaments

Have to post a pic of what I am doing.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes @Janina_G, the same white-grey mineral used to make plaster is also a clay-breaker that can help improve heavy soils. You can buy it in bags as a powder to spread around or (less commonly) a spray-on concentrated liquid.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Does it also make a glue/paste to adhere Gyprok Aquachek to walls??? or is that rendering... I know I have a bag in kitchen which I am stepping over till bathroom finished.... better be before I go nutz  :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects