Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop coriander from going to seed?

Kellie
Making a Splash

How to stop coriander from going to seed?

I've been trying to grow coriander in pots without much success in recent years. Most recent pot seemed to be going well but has suddenly gone to seed. Is there any way to stop it? Any other tips for growing coriander? I'm based in Melbourne and have been trying to grow it on a patio. Thanks for any suggestions. 

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: How to stop coriander from going to seed?

@Kellie, I love Coriander, & haven't had a problem growing it in pots or the ground, but what you must do, is to regularly pick leaves for eating, or pinch leaves off to make it appear, that it's appreciated. :wink:

Emily
Cultivating a Following

How much coriander are you growing in the pot? If they're packed in too close together they can get stressed and go to seed.

If that's not the issue, perhaps try mulching to keep the soil temp down... perhaps the recent sudden warm weather caused it to bolt.

Andy's tip about harvesting often is also a good point, the more you pick the more the plant will grow!

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Good tips so far. Picking regularly and mulching will both help. Coriander will always bolt and flower in the hot weather but you can definitely work to keep your plant for as long as possible by constant harvesting and keeping the soil as moist and cool as possible. Also, make sure you get a "slow bolt" variety and plant every few weeks rather than all at once so you get a constant supply for as long as possible. 

Kellie
Making a Splash

Thank you. I didn't realise it was inevitable. But will use the tips to try to get it to hang on as long as possible. 

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

The recent hot weather has caused my coriander to go to seed really quickly this year. I'm thinking about leaving it in and hoping that the seeds will spread and self germinate. We have a lot of mint and parsley popping up in the garden this way, which I like. 

Isobel, wait until the majority of the seed turns brown. Then cut off the seed heads along with a few inches of stalk and hang them upside down in a brown paper bag.

When the seeds are fully dry after a few weeks, they will fall out of the heads and into the bottom of the bag. Store the dry seed in a jar with a lid and keep in a cool place like a pantry.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects