Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to start herb garden

chrlei
Just Starting Out

How to start herb garden

Hi everyone.. I am a professed black thumb but determined to overcome this. I am interested in starting a herb garden patch in my parent's garden. I wouldn't know how to begin. Can anyone recommend for me a site, or youtube channel, or even if there is an inhouse workshoip video to get me started? Even better is a free community workshop. I live near Hornsby, NSW. All comments are welcomed. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to start herb garden

You're already at the right place @chrlei. Welcome aboard and thanks for joining us. Workshop is an online community for D.I.Y. and gardening projects and discussion. Our members would love to assist you and there's no question that's too big, small, difficult or easy. We'd love to help.

Do you have a photo of the garden patch? It might help members see what you are working with. No problem if you don't though.

Also, I would recommend the Bunnings D.I.Y. Advice section as a great resource. For example, this article on How to start a vegetable garden would contain a lot of advice applicable to your project. 

I will now hand over to our helpful and knowledgable members to assist you with ideas and advice. We're looking forward to seeing how the project progresses.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

@chrlei 

Best place to start is probably what herbs you want to grow.

Some suggestions: mint, corriander, basil, rosemary, thyme, parsely...

It's certainly not difficult, especially if you start with seedlings. And you might consider a raised garden bed - even easier than starting in a bare patch in the garden because you can just buy a few bags of quality soil and maybe a little compost. How much sun does the area get? Does it have easy access to water?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@chrlei,

Some more resources for you:

Hope that helps get you started. Please feel free to post with follow-up questions.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kellie
Making a Splash

@chrlei 

You might be better starting inside the house with some plants on a window sill. It's easier then to keep them protected from the cold weather, a little sun and regularly watered. I just posted the same thing on another discussion. These are really good - https://www.bunnings.com.au/jiffy-12-pellet-windowsill-greenhouse_p2961312 with some easy to grow seeds like parsley, chives and mint - then you can pop the seedlings in a small terracotta pot or something when they are established. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects