Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to start again with a lawn that is majority weeds

topper
Building a Reputation

How to start again with a lawn that is majority weeds

G'day all,

MVIMG_20200308_102832.jpgMVIMG_20200308_102840.jpgMVIMG_20200308_102859.jpg

I apologise if this has been covered before, I did search.

I have just purchased this house and would like to give the lawn some TLC. From what I can tell, it looks as if it is just weeds. I have a feeling I'll have to start from the beginning. If so, what is the recommended process. One I read online said I had to poison it, mow it, rake it, then put seeds down.

Is that the general consensus or do you have other/better ideas?

Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to start again with a lawn that is majority weeds

G'day @topper.

Looking at your photos and that lawn area and surrounding garden bed looks like a great blank canvas for you to get out there and make something special. Good luck and enjoy!

My first thought would be 'Weed N Feed' and water regularly to see how the existing grass fights back (and also to save money), but I'm keen to see what the experts say as I really am a novice.

Have fun @topper 

topper
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Aussie-Garden 

I'm not even sure there is any grass there, I think I may need to reseed.

I'll probably be following this guy's instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2h7aY_n8No

As for blank canvas, tell me about it. I'm drowning in choices/ideas and not sure which way to go. I might put up a proper thread for it, see what some people have in mind.

G'day @topper.

Funny you mentioned Ryan Knorr's video as I was only watching a couple of his last night (I'm subscribed to him).

He's really down to Earth in his videos and seems to know what he's talking about. I mean, just look at his lawn!

A complete start over does sound like the way to go if you have the money and time and Bunnings will have everything you need, that's for sure.

Good luck and I'm keen to follow your progress with your garden.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @topper,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us. 

Could you please tell us a little more detail so members can provide assistance? It would be particularly helpful to know where you are based, what kind of soil you have and how much sun your lawn receives. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects