Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve your lawn this Spring

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How to improve your lawn this Spring

Many lawns across the country are suffering after a long winter. Fortunately, a little care at this time of year can see the grass flourishing again in no time, whether its weeding, feeding and/or aerating.  

This week I'd love to tap into the knowledge of the Workshop community so we can all get our lawns looking great ahead of the warmer weather.

What are your top tips for improving your lawn this Spring?

And if your lawn is struggling, feel free to ask your questions below and I'm sure Workshop community members will be happy to help.

Jason

How to revive a lawn_header.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SallyN
Getting Established

Re: How to improve your lawn this Spring

Thanks Jason for the welcome. I'm so happy I've found this blog as I'm just starting to really get into gardening so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and maybe one day, I'll even be able to provide others some answers :smile:

My pleasure @SallyN :bigsmile:

RosieW
Having an Impact

Lots of tips here for my terrible lawn. This very dry winter has left it in a bad state - I didn't even notice it was happening.

I can only repeat keeping the mowing height high - we do ours on the top two settings on the mower and our lawn is mostly green through summer long after all the neighbours have killed theirs off.
We also never spray for anything as we hand mow and use the clippings to mulch gardens via a chicken tractor.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How's everyone lawns looking this Spring? Mine is currently a little soggy from a lot of recent rain. I'm sure in no time we will all be complaining that it is too dry though!

Jason

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

My mum's Adelaide lawn was ragged - not walked on, and with sandy loam but just old. This is the growing season - winter/spring.
Raked it over to get the dead thatch out - It's that fine blueish stuff, I want to call it Santa Anna fescue? but that's probably totally wrong - it was given to us, so a bit hazy on details - 15 years ago!
So this year I raked it over and spiked it. then I bought a really fine, well rotted mulch (more like soil) and raked it evenly all over, watered, let dry, raked another lot over, mixed with cow manure(about 30% poo? to mulch), watered again. Well, grass and weeds both went gang-busters. just kept mowing the tops off the weeds until the grass was lush again (2-3 weeks), and then spot weeded throughout. Looks fab.
Having said all that, I absolutely despise lawn grasses. At my place I have ground covers, concrete, or pour in place rubber. I felt like I was doing a work of evil by reviving Mum's lawn!

I gave my lawn a weed and feed last weekend. It's amazing how much it's grown this week after some sun and rain and the feed. 

Jason

Tip number 1, don't have hard compacted clay soil that takes a jack hammer to break up.
Tip number 2, see tip number 1.
Moira
Just Starting Out

Hi Jason and everyone

our lawn has been too wet and, now that we’ve fixed our water problem, we want to regrow the grass. There is currently very little grass but lots of moss and dandelions. Should we spray first to kill the weeds and then top dress? There are lots of bare patches. We live in Melbourne and the area is shaded from the East and West. The area won’t get much traffic. Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Moira. Many thanks for your question, I'd be glad to provide some advice.

It's great to have you join us and fantastic to hear you've fixed your lawns water issue. I would advise you to deal with the weed issue prior to top dressing as it is a simple process. There are a variety of selective weed killers available which can be sprayed over the area and they won't affect the grass that you will lay or sow. These products are in concentrated form and can be mixed up in a garden sprayer to be distributed over the area. Alternatively, there are products ready to use like Hortico 2L Bindii Killer Hose On which are suitable for dandelion and broadleaf weeds.

The moss can be killed by applying a mixture of 2 parts dish soap to 1 part water and spraying the moss until it is saturated. You can also physically remove the moss by skimming it and the top layer of soil off of the area. Make sure you get all the roots in the process or it will return.

Please let me know if you need further advice or had any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects