Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to best plant Slender Bamboo trees for screening on a narrow sidewalk

Bish
Finding My Feet

How to best plant Slender Bamboo trees for screening on a narrow sidewalk

We are building a new house and will be left with a very narrow sidewalk (1m) between the House Wall and Neighbours fence.

We are planning to plant Slender Bamboo trees in this area to provide screening from the neighbours while leaving some room for the walkway for access.

Can you please help with the smartest way to do this like putting in sleepers, platers, direct on ground etc?

Thanks in advance!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to best plant Slender Bamboo trees for screening on a narrow sidewalk

Hi @Bish,

Welcome to the community. It's fantastic to have you join us. What an exciting time for you building a new house.

Let me tag the amazing @Noelle who might have some suggestions for you about how to plant slender bamboo trees in that narrow space and any considerations you might have to make to ensure they grow well (and don't become a problem in future). 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We are looking forward to reading more about your new home.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bish,

I thought I would mention a couple of products which you might be able to use in such a confined space. There is a range of  Birdies raised garden planters that are only 30cm deep and could be planted with slender bamboo. There is also a Matrix 1800 x 900mm Planter Box Kit For Decor Screen Panels that will allow you to attach an attractive Matrix screen panel.

I would advise trying to keep bamboo out of the ground that close to a building. If you could take some images of the area, perhaps we could look at designing a slimline garden bed to be constructed down the sidewalk.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Bish 

One golden rule when contemplating bamboo:  DO NOT plant it in the ground!  Even the clumping types will spread and, in time, become a major problem when you decide you no longer want bamboo along this narrow area.

@MitchellMc's idea of using raised planter boxes is a great one; another option is to pot up the bamboos individually so you can move them around if you need to later, to thicken up the screening in particular spots.

Planted into the soil, bamboo can be very hard to eradicate. Its underground stems and roots will try to throw up new growth for years, making for constant removal on your part.

Bish
Finding My Feet

Thanks @Noelle , @MitchellMc , @Jason for the valuable insights... All totally makes sense!!!

Can I use a combination of Sleepers (to make a retaining wall on one side and also add a sleeper on base to prevent rooting in the soil) and colorbond fence on the other side to act like a raised bed where i can plan the bamboos?

Just trying to save as much space as possible. Else pots, planters would be what i would have to settle for.

Thanks,

Bish

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @Bish 

The only problem I foresee with using a sleeper on the base is that over time it will rot away and then the bamboo roots will grow straight down into the soil.  Bamboo really is best grown in a pot or bed where its roots can be completely contained or isolated from the garden soil.  Why not use sleepers along the front to create a retaining wall and then put the bamboo in pots behind them and in front of the colorbond fence? Similar look and minimal risk of the bamboo becoming a future problem.

Bish
Finding My Feet

Thanks @Noelle .. thats a good idea!!! Will give that a go and keep you posted!!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects