Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How does your garden grow?

Sporky
Building a Reputation

How does your garden grow?

I didn't realise broccoli grew this big!I didn't realise broccoli grew this big!Our blueberry bushOur blueberry bushSome leaves are turning brown/redSome leaves are turning brown/redBroccoli SeedlingsBroccoli SeedlingsBaby lettuceBaby lettuceLemon Thyme & MintLemon Thyme & MintGiant Spinach!Giant Spinach!

Over the last 4 months, my garden has exploded! The spinach is so big that I think it's dwarfed my carrots. I'm not sure if they are going to grow to full size. 

My broccoli was started from seedlings and now they are HUGE! I had to move the mint out of the bed - It now has it's own planter box and also has exploded!

The Broadbeans are going really well. I put strings around them last week. The lettuce isn't going so well but all the other plants are thriving!

my husband planting his blueberry in 2017my husband planting his blueberry in 2017broad bean babies!broad bean babies!Broccoli a few weeks inBroccoli a few weeks inspinach seedlingsspinach seedlingsMint Outgrown it's bedMint Outgrown it's bedNew Mint BoxNew Mint Box

Sorry about the images. I had difficulty getting them in the right order and working properly :unhappy:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How does your garden grow?

Many thanks for sharing @Sporky. Congrats on all the success you're having in the garden. Where are you based? 

I'm in Melbourne and at our place we've been enjoying lots of lettuce and spinach recently, and we also have corriander doing well and still basil, mint and chillis from summer. It's certainly a good idea to have mint in a contained pot otherwise it can get out of control. We've got it popping up in a few different areas of our garden beds. 

I'm jealous of the growth of your blueberry bush. It looks like it's doing really well. We haven't had much luck with a few blueberry plants in the past. Perhaps I should ask @Adam_W or @Noelle for some tips. Have you been doing anything special to care for yours? 

It's also been a while since we had a garden update from @bergs. Perhaps he might like to add to your photo gallery here. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bergs
Making a Splash

Hi @Jason@Sporky I've been away a lot of the time since Easter and when I've been around the internet keeps dropping in and out and when I have the time to spend on line it's down again. Never had this much trouble until I changed to NBN :angry:.

Anyway here I am again!!

I don't get much light in the vegie patch in the cooler months of the year and because of the lack of space I don't sow much, as it runs into the spring and I would rather get my plots turned over and composted ready for the summer crops.

I have some carrots, garlic and broadies in now.

I planted the broad beans just before Easter and they are flowering at the moment.

My salad mix lettuce has seeded and will come up all over the patch which is ok because when it is finished it can be dug in as a green crop. Parsley is the same, it comes up everywher after seeding and we always have plenty on hand to share with our two daughters for their chooks.

I have garlic chives as well as the ordinary type in pots.

Chillies are still cropping. The ones in pots have been moved to their Winter quarters.

I have Lavender bushes planted around the yard and they are loved by the BEES. I have a lot of native plants in my garden (Hakeas, Grevilleas, Emu bushes(Eremophila)and they are all coming into full bloom now, and these, also attract plenty of bees. My Lillypillies were in full flower and when you were underneath them all you could hear was the buzzing of the bees.Burrendong Beauty (Hakea)Burrendong Beauty (Hakea)Burrendong Beauty HakeaBurrendong Beauty HakeaBroadiesBroadiesGrevilleaGrevilleaEremophila species (Emu Bush)Eremophila species (Emu Bush)Hakea Laurena (Pin cushion Hakea)Hakea Laurena (Pin cushion Hakea)Garlic, Curly Leaf Parsley(rear)Garlic, Curly Leaf Parsley(rear)Last of Habenaros & Sp. OnionsLast of Habenaros & Sp. Onions

Above is some of the colour around my garden at the moment.

My mint has been divided up and repotted

Cheers and good luck over winter :bigsmile:

Be happy and care for your tools
bergs
Making a Splash

Hi @Sporky looks like you've got a great vegie garden.

Plenty there to keep you occupied over the cooler months, as well as, the produce you are going to enjoy. 

Your soil looks good, plenty of compost in it by the looks of it.

Great hobby especially when you start reaping the reward from your earlier hard work.

Keep it going, it's shaping up for some good feeds down the track.

Cheers and keep warm and dry :bigsmile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bergs,

Great to see you are still getting chillies. I picked a couple of dozen jalapenos yesterday. There are still that many again on the plant but I'm not sure they will get big enough to eat - getting pretty cold down here now!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
edmarie
Growing in Experience

I'd like to share my tomatoes. They grow well in full sun even this cold days. I used bamboo sticks from bunnings to support them. received_1613237435365586.jpeg

Hi @edmarie,your tomatoes certainly look healthy and you still have plenty on the plants. I notice some are just turning so they will be a late crop and if the others don't ripen up you'll have plenty to make green tomato pickles.

You're definitely doing the right thing for your tomatoes as I can't see any blemishes on the leaves except for the older ones at the bottom starting to die back. 

Cheers and Happy gardening. :bigsmile:Keep warm

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects