Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I identify what lawn/grass i have?

marcusd
Finding My Feet

How do I identify what lawn/grass i have?

Hi there,

I've been having issues with what I think is crab grass taking over my lawn (some images below). I've been doing a lot of research and am at the point where I think because there's quite a lot of it, i'm going to have to dig it up/kill it, then on the patches left behind, apply top soil -> grass seeds -> in order to let the surrounding lawn repair.

What i'm really unsure about though is:

1. What is the exact type of grass in my lawn? From looking at online guides i feel it's either Hybrid Bermuda (Hybrid Couch Grass) or Kikuyu Grass. Whatever it is, it definitely has runners which are a constant pain to deal with.

2. What is the actual weed I'm dealing with - is it crabgrass? Seperately it appears in clumps but there's so much of it now on the edges it's starting to form its own lawn. It mainly started setting in to a corner of the lawn which was under some old flower bushes i removed and ended up bare patches of dirt. I've read crabgrass loves this kind of scenario and takes off.

3. Is there a product i can spray on the crabgrass that wont harm the existing lawn? I've used weed n feed on the lawn semi-regularly but read that it doesnt help with crabgrass as it's a grass not a weed. 

Of the entire lawn, 75% or so is quite healthy lawn but this problematic crabgrass has been expanding. I've been spot using hot water from the kettle to kill the more seperate clumps and they're now dead and brown which I'd like to rake out then seed but I'm not sure what grass i've got definitively in order to get the right seed.

Any help is appreciated! 

4.jpg1.jpg3.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I identify what lawn/grass i have?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @marcusd. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

I've never been particularly great with identifying types of grass, Buffalo is clear to me but the rest I struggle with. Let me mention @mich1972 and @Adam_W to see if they would know what type that is.

The invader appears to be some variation of crabgrass or paspalum. The product Brunnings 500ml Paspalum Kill Selective Herbicide will remove both from your lawn. It is advised to spot spray this product as it can do damage to your lawn as well. It looks like you have a fairly distinct line between the two kinds of grass so this might not be an issue. The problem with spraying the whole lawn is that the invader is also a type of grass and not a broadleaf weed. True selective weeders that don't damage lawn when applied generally only remove broadleaf weeds and not grasses.

You might like to consider why the weed grass is there in the first place. It's most likely as you mentioned because there was no competition. Once removed and you re-seed it will have difficulty returning if you grass if kept healthy.

Here a D.I.Y step-by-step article on How to weed your lawn which I trust you'll find helpful. Some discussions which you might find useful are- How to improve your lawn this Spring

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Looks like Crab Grass to me. So you will need to treat with a selective crab grass killer as Mitch has recommended. Good luck 😊

Thanks mate! How about the regular grass, any idea what that is? I'm wanting to seed it but cant identify it!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Perhaps resident lawn care expert @Adam_W might be able to assist. Any ideas Adam?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @marcusd I'd put my money on kikuyu as your regular.
Your invader may actually be a few things... crab grass def possibility, could also be a paspalum and maybe some winter-grass too.
Personally... I'd be digging it all out in the problem areas & replanting.

Thank you @Adam_W ! Even just having a close idea of the existing grass means i can buy a close approximate seedwise to as you say dig up and re-seed. Much appreciated!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects