Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How Can I Get Rid Of English Ivy?

Bantam
Growing in Experience

How Can I Get Rid Of English Ivy?

The neighbor over the back fence has got English Ivy growing and I am forever trying to stop it invading my yard. It grows under, over and through the fence and is even popping up between my pavers. I've tried a few things both chemical and organic but so far nothing stops it.

I have a dog so I need a pet friendly remedy. There is also a ringtail possom living in the shrubbery so I don't want it harmed either.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: How Can I Get Rid Of English Ivy?

@Bantam, I've always cut & dug it out, & it's not as hard as it seems. I use a pair of loppers for thicker parts, even the roots, & a pruning saw to cut the ivy if it's growing up a tree.

My days of sheer braun are long gone, so for attacking the roots, I trowel around the base of the trunk to find the roots, then expose about 150mm, & dig underneath the root. Depending on the size, I'll either use the loppers, or a reciprocating saw with a course blade. I haven't got one, but a survival saw could be handy.

Survival saw

To lever out heavy roots, I recommend:

The Prong Company

Success rate is 100%.

By the way, removing the roots is best done when the soil is moist, & when done, put all the cuttings straight into your green wheelie bin.

Bantam
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your response Andy_Mann but digging it out by the roots is just not practicle in my case. The plant is in the garden over the back fence. I continue to dig up what roots I can that are growing on my side of the fence but because I can't attack the main plant it just keeps coming. Also it's not practicle to dig up the roots where it's poking up between my pavers - not without uplifting my pavers. Continually clipping what grows through, under and over the fence is my biggest garden chore and my biggest green bin filler. The house over the back fence is a holiday house so they are only there during holidays - letting the garden grow into a jungle when they are not there - which is most of the year. When they are there they don't garden - they party.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Bantam, perhaps take a coupla bottles with you next time you see them, have a sociable chat, & see if they'd be OK with you removing it, after they head back home? Worth a shot, & they might even throw in a slab for you once you've removed it. :wink:

If you don't win a slab, move the fence when they aren't there. :cheeky:

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Yes, I would recommend having a chat with the neighbours, otherwise you will be battling with it forever. They might also actually want to get rid of it. You could suggest a working bee. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How well do you know your neighbours @Bantam? Might be a good chance to get to know them better! Good luck with the negotiations.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bantam
Growing in Experience

Thanks Guys
I never thought of approaching the neighbours and asking about getting rid of it. As they are rarely there I don't know them at all. With summer approaching they will be coming to stay there for a while so I will arm myself with some stubbies and pay them a visit. I will be happy to do the work of removing it after they have gone home.
BibbyKat
Having an Impact

ANSWER - How Can I Get Rid Of English Ivy?

I had a "little" problem some years ago .. I used MY true trusted method .. salted water.

1.  Put the salt directly onto the actual spot/roots - then pour boiling water onto it

OR

2. Salt the water (hot or cold) and CAREFULLY pour the solution onto the spot/roots.

Use this for weeds too.  No harm to our "garden" pets .. frogs etc.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

If they're not at home often then they probably won't care what you do - probably will even be happy that you're offering to help clean up their backyard. 

I first met our back neighbours when we needed to replace the back fence. I remember the initial conversations were a little awkward, but years later they are good friends. Good luck!  

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Well said @Kermit, it's all about the approach.

Mind you, we had a fence negotiation go comically wrong. I'd known the elderly widow for zonks, so I offered her a 1.8m double sided Colourbond Good Neighbour fence, at 50% of a bog standard, 5' Galv Post & Railer. I openly mentioned that newer regulations wouldn't allow the fence to be simply replaced as it was, it'd be too close to her garage, & wouldn't get approval (Rodent haven). I put it to her that we'd adhere to the existing fence line, except where it bordered her garage, which was <300mm from the property border. Sure we were going to rob her of <300mm of unuseable ratness, but brought up that it'd save money, as we'd both be paying for less fence. I thought I'd made it abundantly clear, & that I'd bear the cost of any complications/costs that the installer may bring up.

Nothing was said, but I got a note stuffed in our letterbox saying that she'd organised a quote from a couple of local lads, & that they'd use 2nd hand fencing sheets. Back in those days, people didn't change their fences on a whim, so I couldn't imagine that there'd be quality panels lying around, let alone matching Colourbond Good Neighbour, in the colour that we did agree on, at a bargain price. So I didn't shake on it.

A week later the doorbell rang late evening, & her 180mm+ son is glaring at me, accusing me of taking advantage of his elderly Mother. Out f respect, I stifled my disbelief, & talked him through what the process was, what I'd put to her, & that she'd benefit more than me.

Thankfully he was reasonably intelligent, grasped it quite quickly, apologised & thanked me for my generosity.

I shouldn't mention that he then brought up that his Mother'd told him that she wanted the (designer preferred) ribbed side facing her property, at which point I burst into tears laughing. Again, he quickly grasped my communication skills, apolgised, shook my hand & I never saw him again. :wink:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects