Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help me hide this wall

slmhau
Finding My Feet

Help me hide this wall

Hi guys. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me. I’d like to hide this wall but I am clueless. Thanks again. It’s a lot longer than thisIt’s a lot longer than this

image.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Help me hide this wall

Hi @slmhau,

Looks like you live in a beautiful spot. To kick off the discussion, let me tag @Adam_W for you, as you might want to consider a retaining wall. I'll also embed one of Adam's popular videos below.

Great to see you make your first post on Workshop. Welcome aboard! I'm sure our members will provide plenty of helpful information and inspiration for this project and many more to come in the future. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much Jason! Everything I touch seems to die. The plants I mean. I’ve tried creepers but they all died. Then trees in my little 1 story garden bed & some of the trees died too but the other plants my mum put in the front went nuts. Maybe I will do a taller retaining wall/garden bed & plant more trees... but what types of trees??
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries @slmhau.

Perhaps @TheSaltyreefer might like to assist with some watering system advice, too. It looks pretty dry in your photos!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

If you're set on just hiding it all - Modular Walls are a great solution. Several options for finishes, easy install, cost effective.

It'd be a shame to lose so much greenery though.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Plant choice is about microclimate - what direction does the wall face? Are the big trees evergreen? what amount of direct sun, if any, does the area get, and at what time of day? Does the spot tend to be a few degrees cooler or warmer than the surrounding ambient temperature in the locale, per each season?
The trees will be taking up a lot of water, however, how much rainfall do you get in each season? All these factors will go into your choices... Retaining is a great safety idea if you think the current wall may slip in extreme weather events, which we're all getting now.
Gabion walls are easy enough, and can be cheap, depending on local supply, they also visually fade out behind greenery... depends on your aesthetic.
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @slmhau , two main choices...
1) - improve the soil above and plant things that will cascade down to conceal the area.

2) - the more serious option... that area has been heavily cut during work on the site. The best long term option is to build a retaining wall to make sure it is stabilised. This could be built as stepped beds to give you areas to plant into. This would not however be cheap & owing to the height may need council approval but at the least would need designing by someone who has a good idea of what they are doing.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects