Workshop
Ask a question

How do you store your gardening tools?

Annette
Making a Splash

How do you store your gardening tools?

We are trying to figure out a better system for storing our tools and gardening supplies etc. in our small garden shed which is 2.9m x 1.9m and I would love to know how other members store their tools etc. Do you use a brilliant storage solution to help make my gardening life much easier?

As shown below, our garden shed currently houses garden tools, lawn mower, lawn edger, hedge trimmer, fertilisers, snail bait etc., nuts and bolts etc., saw horses, large Christmas tree (in that cardboard box), and general odds and sods. The opening has a central double sliding door.

The cupboards in our house are very organised so I would like to apply the same principle to our poor old garden shed.

Any suggestions on a more efficient system would be greatly appreciated. If you have photos of your well organised shed or garage all the better - as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. 

Please HELP !!!!!!!!

Garden shed

Garden Shed

Garden Shed

BibbyKat
Having an Impact

Re: Help ! How do you store your gardening tools ? Have you got a great storage system in place?

I have 3 methods of storing gardening items. b
1. 2 x Garden bench with lid and when down becomes a seat. Covered lid with foam cushions (from Clark Rubber) and made covers for the foam.
1 stores - small items in seat. Small garden tools - weeders - small spades etc. .
2nd stores - stores all my empty pots/buckets of difference descriptions.

2. Small upright Garden cupboard .. stores all gardening tools (spade-hoe-Forks- clippers etc) .. Hang large saw also.

3. Large Garden shed in which to store .. mower - wheelbarrow .. working tools .. carry all etc, All other hardware on shelving .. paint tins etc .

All works well for me,

Re: Help ! How do you store your gardening tools ? Have you got a great storage system in place?

Thanks Bibby Kat - I especially like the idea of the bench seat. I have been toying with the idea of having a chair in the main vegie patch so that I can take a breather when I need it.

My "storage benches" as I call them .. help me have my "breather" too .. as I cannot bend for toooooo long! I have a cuppa then back to work.
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Thanks MartyH

I like the look of that one, just don't like the price. I have checked the Bunnings site and found some other alternatives that won't hurt the hip pocket so much or perhaps I can con Hubby into knocking one up for me if I smile nice :angelic:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let us know what you come up with to improve your storage Annette.

For other readers of this thread, here's some resources that might be helpful:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Annette, I agree with @MartyH, your set up looks pretty good, & your shed size is perfect.

The only area that I'd look to work on is the stack of tarps, & sort out whatever's in that big cardboard box. My general rule, is that if things hard to get at & I haven't accessed it for ages, then a lot of it can go.

For the tarps, perhaps knock up a good sized wooden box/bin (sides not too high) for them, & mount/attach it to the mid-height horizontal square tube of the shed, & the blue cabinet. If the area's wide enough underneath, position the legs apart enough to store the mower underneath. That way, you clear access to the front of the blue cabinet, & have a blank wall section to hang your shovels etc.

Another thing that I strongly recommend to anyone, is to store heavy bags of potting mix, &/or fertiliser bags on a waist high ledge/shelf, saving you from bending over to pick them up.

Will do @Jason - I thought I might start on it when that big cardboard box containing the Christmas tree comes out on 1st December.

In the meantime I have bought another small wheely bin (100L) to store vermiculite. I now have 3 of these small bins, one holds bags of blood and bone and the other stores sugar cane mulch and they all sit outside against the wall of the garden shed. Using these bins means we no longer have open bags spilling onto the ground inside the garden shed. Yayyyyyyyyyy!

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

This is a reasonably good project, although there's probably more attractive options than PVC pipe. I don't like the way that they are different lengths in the picture. https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/garage/how-to-make-a-garden-shed-tool-box

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects