Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Growing your own vegetable seedlings

Grub80
Making a Splash

Growing your own vegetable seedlings

Hi all, I decided this year to try my own vegetable seedlings. I’ve never tried before, so with some trepidation, I thought well, it can’t be that hard, so here’s my results so far!

My biggest learning, the 3 ‘P’s   Planning, Patience and Persistence.

I think everyone should have a go! Good luck!

Beetroot in single cellsBeetroot in single cellsMy successMy successGerminated seedsGerminated seedsGrowing well in traysGrowing well in traysTransplanted, 2nd leavesTransplanted, 2nd leaves

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Re: growing your own vegetable seedlings

Keep us updated with progress :smile:
Im trying to get more of a green thumb myself - everything tastes stronger/better/crisper straight from your own garden I reckon :smile:

Re: growing your own vegetable seedlings - update

Hi @Prawns heres an update photo, the plants are ready to go! Seeds sown on 6/3/3 so in all, it’s taken 5 weeks. I’ve given them diluted power feed for the last 2 weeks, to really kick them off. The beetroot seedlings were sown in potting mix, and not grown very well, lesson learned not to do that again! Used the right seed raising mix or even compost only, next time. They onions and leeks are sown and are adapting to the beds well. Now off to plant the brassicas, and water in, no rain here in south Australia, still very very dry! Good luck in your garden.

Beets have just got 2nd leavesBeets have just got 2nd leavesCauliflowers ready to goCauliflowers ready to goCabbages ready to goCabbages ready to goBrussel sprouts readyBrussel sprouts readyOnions and leeks plantedOnions and leeks planted

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are you vegies going now @Grub80?

Hope you've had plenty of rain since your last post. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

CauliflowersCauliflowersLeeks and onionsLeeks and onionsCabbagesCabbagesEarlier cauliflowersEarlier cauliflowersBeetrootsBeetrootsHi Jason, finally Rain! The season has broken, but about 4 weeks later than last year. Veggies are grown really well, had a great strike rate with them as well. Hope is all well in your garden. Still looking for some follow up rains. I am going to start tomato seedlings in about 3 weeks time. Brought a cheap greenhouse from Bunnings, so will keep you posted with them too.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects