Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Growing tomatoes in Winter

Grub80
Making a Splash

Growing tomatoes in Winter

Hi All,

need your advice as to my tomatoes growing in my garden in the late autumn. Should i persist or pull them out? They are still flowering and growing fruit. Should i pull all the fruit off and ripen off the vine?

i have never grown tomatoes late in the season.

thanks in advance, Leann

C9970CEC-43C7-45F2-8589-9DA1B022A55B.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Growing tomatoes in Winter

Hi @Grub80,

Great to see you make your first Workshop post! We hope it's the first of many and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

Can you tell us where you are based? I can then tag some users who should be able to provide some advice.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason, I am based at Aldinga Beach South Australia
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @Grub80.

Let me tag some of our green thumbs on the community, including @Adam_W@CathM@robchin@Branchy249 and @Noelle for you.

I'm sure they will be happy to give you some advice on ensuring you get the most from your tomato plants at this time of year. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

@Grub80tomatoes are technically a sub-tropical plant so outside of warm zones they need long hot days to grow.

In your area they'll start slowing right down so ripening on the vine will take a long time & the plant will likely be suffering, bordering on dead, before the remaining fruit even ripens.
Once it starts to get cold overnight (below say 10˚) then you'll find the plant shedding leaves & looking ratty.
You can keep it warmer for longer by mulching well with a pea straw or garden lucerne.
They still look pretty healthy now, probably because the paving and colorbond fence are radiating some stored heat overnight so I'd persist for a little longer until you start to see lots of leaf drop and leaf yellowing etc.

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi. Im with @Grub80 on this one. Might be a bit late to hope they'll ripen at this stage. Maybe some Green Tomato Chutney :unhappy:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects