Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Growing and caring for chilli plants

bergs
Making a Splash

Growing and caring for chilli plants

Chilli.jpg

Hi, I'm trying to over winter my Chillies. Last season they were all coming on strong when Autumn came. I thought that if I tried to keep the plants alive it would give me a head start this season. I'm in Victoria (cool temperate).

I have googled it, but it's mainly British and American area guides. I trimmed them back fairly harshly and located the potted ones in a sheltered spot in the garden and backed the watering right off. They are a mixed variety.

So far one is showing signs of shooting. There has been a fair bit of die back which I have now trimmed off. The weather is not far away from getting a bit warmer, so the hopefully, they will take off again and give me earlier crops.

I had preserved (pickled) quite a few but stocks have run out.

Has anyone else had any success in over wintering Chillies? If so please share your methods with us.

Thanks and Cheers🍻Bergs

Be happy and care for your tools

Re: OVER WINTERING CHILLIES

@berg, you will find Donkey in the festival. Hopefully she attends this year.
bergs
Making a Splash

Ok Thanks @QuailFlock, I will check.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's some chillis a work colleague has grown and generously shared with me. They are large - about as long as my hand.

We had jalapeno poppers last night. The occasional one was very hot but most were very mild. It was like Russian Roulette. 

Jason

Chillis.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bergs
Making a Splash

Hey @Jason they look great. Do you know what variety they are?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bergs

They are Caysan - a fairly mild variety.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Growing and caring for chilli plants

Hi @bergs,

As this discussion has become the defacto official chilli discussion on Workshop, I've changed the title to better refect the wide-ranging conversation. Hope you don't mind!

Thanks again for kicking it off and sharing your experiences and knowledge.

Jason

bergs
Making a Splash

Hi @Jason, that's fine. I was starting to think that this thread had become a little bit more than just Over winterin Chilies.

I grew some of those Caysan Chilies a couple of years back and didn't find them too hot. I finished up pickling them.

They were a good chili for all to taste.

I think I said in an earlier post that my son in law gave me a chili called Piquante Plain and that it grows like a tree, well, it s loaded with fruit.

They will grow in the shade and will have a longer life span than normal (I don't know how long). I will see how it fares compared to my other chilies.

He said they are quite mild, so that should suit people who don't like the hotter varieties of chilies.

IMG_20180315_141646.jpg

Piquante Plain

IMG_20180315_141633.jpg

Cheers and happy gardening:bigsmile:

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Caysan can vary though I have a strain that translates to Red Hot Dragon and it is a fair description of them.

bergs
Making a Splash

Hi @Brad, your right there because I've had chilies of the same variety at different heats.

Some on the same bush, look all the same, but one might be just nice and another can be quite hot.

Luck of the draw I suppose.

My Nellie Kellie and Thai chilies earlier in the season were nice and warm, with just enough zing, that the wife was eating them as well.

Picking the ripe ones now seem to be quite warmer than the earlier ones.

Still delicious though.

Cheers and happy gardening:bigsmile:

Just another piece from the Herb & Chilli Festival program booklet which may be of some interest.IMG_20180320_115912.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are your chilli plants going @bergs? My fruit production seems to have slowed right down with the milder weather. Looks like I won't get much more. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects