Workshop
Ask a question

Grape tin vertical herb garden

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

Grape tin vertical herb garden

Hi everyone!

I have been away for a long time, but have something I think is exciting to share with you all :smile:

Last weekend I finally got all my bits and pieces and put together my grape tin vertical garden, full of herbs! 

I got these great vintage, rusted grape tins from a Vintage Shop. It was really quick and simple. I used hessian bags, weed mat, potting mix, herbs and tags.  

I had no idea what I was doing (never had a garden of my own), so I consulted a few online tutorials and the man at Bunnings helped me out. I used the hessian bags folded in half purely for astethic reasons. I was told hessian rots easily. To try to reduce the chance of rotting and to keep the potting mix in place I then used a layer of weed matting. That was really all the hard work done! I filled each tin up and planted my herbs and attached these really great copper style tages to each basket. We then attached the baskets to the fence with rusty nails to keep the "rustic" feel. 

20180428_161015_001_resized.jpg

20180428_134636_resized.jpg

20180428_161309_resized.jpg

We are pretty happy with it and are looking forward to cooking with all our yummy herbs! 

If I could change anything it would be the weed matting. It was hard to cut and frayed really badly. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what to use in a circumstance like this for when we eventually need to repot? All I know is it needed to be porous so the herbs can drain.

Thanks!

Kay

aly
Making a Splash

Re: Grape Tin Vertical Herb Garden

Absolutely love this @kaylah_rose! What herbs did you end up using? We have a tonne of fence space at our place so I might look into a vertical garden too :smile:

Thanks @aly! We used thyme, basil, mint, parsely, sage and oregano. We are also going to have a rosemary hedge to block off the back part of the garden and hide the fire wood and things. I'll post that once it's done!

What kind of vertical garden are you thinking of setting up?

Kay

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@aly

There's lots of vertical garden inspiration on Workshop in addition to @kaylah_rose's fantastic project here. 

Here's some to get you started:

Hope that helps. Please let us know if you build your own.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aly
Making a Splash

Thanks for the inspo @Jason - I really like @Darren and @JP_Finlay gardens with the terracotta pots!

I'm wanting to keep mine simple - something to add character to the fence/brick but to also provide a heap of herbs that we cook with so often.

We have a section that runs along the west side of our house that's about 1-2metres wide (between house and fence) and it would have been perfect for a garden workshop but the space doesn't get enough sun. Thinking i'll convert it to a dog run instead!

I'll keep you updated!

Your grape tin vertical herb garden has been very popular with Workshop's Instagram followers @kaylah_rose. Congrats!

Looking forward to seeing your next project soon.

Jason

I have been building a garden on a fence for some time as a disability prevents me from gardening in the ground. Bunnings provided the parts. See here for images. https://www.ausgardenforum.com/forum/garden-and-growing-tips-hints-and-ideas/131-hydroponics-or-not
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Arismac,

Your images aren't showing on the other site. Could we please trouble you to upload them here so we could see what you have done?

Thanks,

Jason

Paradise
Just Starting Out

Re: Grape tin vertical herb garden

What a great idea. Just bought some yo do the same. Thx for the inspiration.

MaryW3121
Getting Established

Dipping tins

I've had this at the back of my first floor courtyard for four years.

I bought the bins in Inglewood, Victoria.

I was told, by several sources, that these bins were used by orchardists for dipping fruit into insect/fungal solutions.

bins were used by orchardists for dipping fruit into insect/fungal solutionsbins were used by orchardists for dipping fruit into insect/fungal solutions

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects