Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fruit that suddenly appeared

Booksinthecloud
Finding My Feet

Fruit that suddenly appeared

Hi there,

My gardening knowledge is limited so hoping someone can shed some light on why fruit trees have started producing fruit after 8 years?

We lived in the same house for over 8 years and trees that have been in our yard the entire time that never had fruit on them before, suddenly this year have started producing fruit.   One was a Japanese Plum (which I was told was rather rare) and the other tree is a pomegranate tree that's out the front of the house I am sure some sticky hands walking by will be taking those.

Thanks

Renae

Is there any reason why fruit would just appear suddenly. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Fruit that suddenly appeared

Welcome to Workshop Renae (@Booksinthecloud). It's great to have you as part of the community.

Your "problem" sounds like a great one to have! I'm sure some of our keen gardeners will be keen to offer some suggestions, and help ensure you keep getting plenty of fruit...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aly
Making a Splash

Hi @Booksinthecloud,

Many fruit varieties take some time to mature and to actually bare fruit so perhaps your situation isn't too uncommon. It obviously differs between what fruit and what variety you have as to how long it takes for the tree to bare fruit but again this can take quite a few years for some varieties.

Enjoy the plums and pomegranates!

Dale
Having an Impact

Hi @Booksinthecloud.

All I know of the Japanese Plum is that it is commonly known as the Chinese Plum and very common in Asia and Western Australia.  The fruit is used in sauces and Chinese liquor.  :smile:

On the other hand, I used to have a Pom.  Poms usually take 6 to 7 years to mature, so I wouldn't worry too much about 8 years to fruiting.  They have a long lifespan.

When flowering they need a lot of watering, as in a good water once a week to allow it to grow the fruit.  They also need a lot of sun and good drainage.

It's too late this year, but late spring (Oct-Nov) you give them wet rotten compost.  This helps to heat the soil for them to bud, and eventually fruit.  Harvest about 5-6 months after flowering.

And good luck.  :smile:

Thanks Dale.. I am excited about the Pom's I will get watering.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are your fruit trees going @Booksinthecloud?

Hope all is well and that you will soon be enjoying a well-earned Easter break.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Helen
Having an Impact

Some varies do take years to fruit, yours taking 8 years is encouraging, some of the ones we grew from seed may set fruit in a few more years, fingers crossed!! Nature is amazing, surprises everyday!

Helen
Having an Impact

Update on "fruit that suddenly appeared" this spring I noticed a few flowers on my trees grown from seed 6 or 7 years ago, checked today & there is fruit, looks like nectarine. Am excited as old tree is getting past it!
Helen
Having an Impact

Update to my previous post Re: Fruit suddenly appearing, it is not nectarine, it is apple & the birds have pecked them already. Have had a super crop of cherries, apricots, lots of peaches & plums coming on too.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects