Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front yard lawn

Dinusha
Just Starting Out

Front yard lawn

We recently moved to a house which the front yard needs a lots of landscaping 

i would like to know where to start as I prefer to have a beautiful lawn 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Front yard lawn

Hi @Dinusha,

I think your goal of a beautiful lawn is a dream shared by many. I'm sure the Workshop community will have some great tips for you. But it might help if you shared a few photos of your front garden currently so members can see what you're working with. Let me know if you need any help uploading them.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you as a member of the community. I'm sure you will find plenty of useful information, advice and inspiration here. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Yes, if you could tell us a bit more about your front yard it would help us give you more useful advice. 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Have posted these before but they might help you get started @Dinusha

Branchy249
Cultivating a Following

The key to a good lawn is all in the preparation - as with most things DIY!

Without seeing pictures of your garden it is hard to see what needs to happen.

If there is existing lawn, you can either try to nuture it or you can remove it - either by spraying it with a weed killer or scraping it back with a dingo or shovel. You would need to ensure that all of the existing lawns roots have been removed and i would then get some top soil delivered to "freshen up" your soil. It would also be advantageous to consider installing a sprinkler system at this time - this will certainly assist with keeping the grass nice and green as well as healthy.

If your budget allows for it, I would lay instant turf. It ensures a nice even coverage as well as an immediate improvement - though it does cost a lot more than using seed. Seed is considerably cheaper but it does take a lot longer to get the desired result and you may need to apply more seed in the coming weeks to ensure even coverage.

Good luck with it!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Dinusha,

Hope all is well.

Just wondering if you have made any progress with your lawn project?

I trust the replies you received here on Workshop from community members were helpful.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects