Workshop
Ask a question

Growing strawberries

Annette
Making a Splash

Growing strawberries

Today I picked the equivalent of 2 punnets of strawberries. Some of the strawberries are whoppers (the plate in the picture is a large dinner plate, not a small bread and butter plate).

Tonight I will be making "Eton Mess" which consists of mascerated strawberries, whipped cream and lightly crushed meringues. Just combine the strawberries, whipped cream and meringues just before serving. This is absolutely divine - just like a de-constructed pavlova. 

Another gorgeous way to have fresh strawberries is "Sweet and Sour Strawberries" - just stir some sour cream in a bowl, place brown sugar in another bowl,  and then by holding the strawberry by the stem or leaves, dip the strawberry into the sour cream, giving it a liberal coating, and then roll the coated strawberry into the brown sugar - eat and enjoy - yummmmmmmmmmmmm!

Do other members have a favourite way to serve strawberries?

First Strawberries for 2016/2017

Re: First strawberries of the season (& 2 easy strawberry dessert recipes)

Not to worry @Mick0s - to clear the decks I will be giving about 30 seedlings away to a friend to sell at her daughter's school fete on the weekend ( the tomato seedlings are a foot high)

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Annette, the Workshop gift, that keeps on giving. :hug:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Following feedback from Workshop members we are planning to add location details to user posts if you would like it displayed. It should help those community members who wish to share plants, cuttings and produce.

Hope the fete is a success, Annette.

Jason
See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I just picked 6 punnets of strawberries, that's 15 punnets so far this season.
Now I'm off to pick some peas and snow peas....................

Here's our first crop...

Not exactly as impressive as @Annette's. :smile:

From_Violet_s_crop..jpg

That looks like my first crop of strawberries when I started growing them 3 years ago @Mick0s so there's hope yet :wink:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Our strawberry plants are slowly spreading so we're hoping for a much bigger harvest this year. Tips for keeping pests at bay are most welcome!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects