Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fertiliser for succulent garden bed

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Fertiliser for succulent garden bed

Hi all, I'm certainly not greenthumb so I'm looking for some advice. I've recently built some brick/render planter boxes and I've now filled them with 'garden mix' soil (loose/well-draining) ready for succulents.

Do you have any recommendations on some fertiliser (I assume slow release) which I should mix through the soil to give my plants a boost and some long-term nutrients?

TIA

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Fertiliser for succulent garden bed

Do you create your own compost @ProjectPete?

What would you recommend @Noelle?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I don't make my own compost but I am setting up a worm farm soon and plan to spread their "liquid gold" in my gardens.

----------
Handy and helpful

Hi Pete
Succulents and cacti need an open, well drained growing media - there are special mixes available but an open garden mix will do just fine. For that reason I would not add compost to the mix or as a source of food because it's high organic composition will retain too much moisture.
I'd look at a controlled release fertiliser (like Osmocote All Purpose) which will release nutrients for up to 12 months but use it sparingly - cacti and succulents are not gross feeders and too much fertiliser can cause them to become soft and leggy.
Worm juice is probably better on the vegies, herbs and flowering plants than the succulents, too.

Thanks very much @Noelle - guess I'll lay off the worm juice then 😀

And good to hear Osmocote All Purpose is OK because it's easy to get.

----------
Handy and helpful

Hi, I’m a ‘newbie’ and I have a question about the succulent garden bed - I have quite a few of them myself, but rather than having them all in a bed, I’ve stuck them around various places. I just don’t know exactly how much sun they really like! I’ve always thought that they would prefer a hot, sunny position with limited watering because of their ability to hold water in the leaves, but it seems it’s not a hard and fast rule - is this correct? Do some like more attention than others (shade & water)
Could anyone put me on the correct course with these lovely, little plants?
Thanks jane_5

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you know the names of the plants you have @jane_5? Or perhaps you could share some photos? That way members can provide more specific and useful advice. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans for around the house and garden. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jane_5
Getting Established

hi Jason, thank you for the welcome and I can see myself spending many hours here!

in reply to the question re the names of my succulents - I know I have chalk sticks, fire sticks and aloes. However, although I have a lot of the common ones, I don’t know their names!

I have included a couple of photos and you can see the chalk sticks live happily in full sun all day long, whereas the others prefer to have some shade. 
Really I only wrote originally because it does seem to be a case of trial and error but why? They’re all succulents, holding their water and I don’t understand why they don’t all like the same conditions.  🤔I’m sorry I repeated a photo! I’m still a learner 😂

FF198634-8A59-4DFA-B75D-08082220EF92.jpeg

1E13DA23-8D1B-475D-9E75-A070EC641AF2.jpeg

0A0C2A79-489C-4AFE-8495-10219207AE1C.jpeg

F2C98BC3-50CE-49BB-B58C-5B27BC6DC603.jpeg

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Jane

Not all succulents enjoy exactly the same conditions because they originate from many different countries, climatic zones and growing conditions. Some like hot, full sun spots and will tolerate very dry conditions while others prefer more humid, shaded spots. Generally those with grey or grey-green "leaves" will do well in full sun and without a lot of water while the greener types need some shade and will grow better if the air is more humid. The fleshy leaved types can hold quite a lot of moisture, but will lose it quickly if they're too exposed to hot sun.

Regardless of where they come from, succulents (like all plants) will generally grow and flower better if given some TLC, including water occasionally and a slow release fertiliser once or twice a year. Don't over-do either.
jane_5
Getting Established

Thank you Noelle, your answer has cleared up a lot of things I had wondered about, and now it makes it much easier to know where to put certain succulents and why others aren’t doing so well! 

I have a really pretty one -green with red around the edges in a fine line, the information that came with it said it needs the sun to keep the red colour going, but I have found that it doesn’t seem to like the sun and as you said the green ones prefer some shade, it make sense. 

So thank you again, I’ll remember what you have said and take heed in the future!

regards, 

Jane

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects