Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dandelion Crop

Deester
Just Starting Out

Dandelion Crop

I have a nice crop of dandelions rapidly taking over the lawn.  Any recommendations on how to irradicate them safely along with other broadleaf .  We do have a dog that roams the grounds.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Dandelion Crop

@Deester

It's hard to get rid of dandelions without poison because the tap root is often pretty deep - two or three feet. They will just grow back if you don't remove the root and all. And you obviously need to get at them before the yellow flowers turn into those puffballs that spread seeds everywhere. 

Having a healthy, thick lawn is the best defence. You will basically be choking them. Don't mow too low and regularly feed the lawn so the grass becomes thick enough to keep weeds like dandelions from establishing.

Good luck.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @Deester. I hope you find the community useful and I look forward to all your contributions.

I also hope Isobel's assistance was helpful. I'm sure others might also like to share their experiences as dandelions are certainly a common scourge.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bluebec
Building a Reputation

I asked this question once at a Flower and Garden show many years ago.  Their recommendation was to pour boiling water on the weeds in the lawn you want to kill.  It cooks everything that it touches (so you'd need be careful in your application) and is likely to kill the entire root as well because heat and water travels.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

That sounds like a good approach @bluebec. I will give that a try. 

A very warm welcome to Workshop. I look forward to more of your tips. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects