Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. chicken coop

Caron
Making a Splash

D.I.Y. chicken coop

Love all the tips and posts of DIY projects. I’m an absolute beginner and my first major project is my chicken coop. This has been 12 months in the making with “extensions” along the way.

I started with the main structure, then added a run (although they free range throughout the day) and then some shelter with a verandah as the tree protecting it had to be removed due to borers.

Six months on and with the girls going to bed early and I’m now getting home in the dark, I now need to add an automatic chicken door - has anyone done this? Any suggestions? I’m in Brisbane. 

6A2FD7EF-85D8-4891-ADD8-849D0FFB048E.jpeg

F2A54ED5-4E70-499C-B794-459D42B6A8ED.jpeg

8DCD9F2D-0BBE-40CD-B5EC-16FFAE22D3D7.jpeg

0F3EE11B-17D7-4F2D-98DE-CA985216C1C5.jpeg

1766B02C-B3F3-46F7-8CE6-31042D864000.jpeg

Maree1
Cultivating a Following

Re: DYI - chicken coop

You have done a great job on the chicken coup I bet the girls love their digs :smile:

Re: DYI - chicken coop

Thank you so much - the girls are very happy :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY chicken coop

Wow. Love your work @Caron. Very well done.

Have you seen this amazing discussion about automatic door openers? - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor/Automatic-chicken-coop-door-opener/m-p/10528

Thanks for sharing,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Caron
Making a Splash

Thank you so much Jason for your kind words.  

I have seen that thread - I don't have power to the coop so looking at something I rig up to a battery. It's a good thread though!

Caron
Making a Splash

Just posted in another thread re the automatic door opener - I have found a small company in Tasmania who appear to have had some good reviews that make automatic door openers. I have just ordered one and will post feedback on how it goes. I have a friend who is good with electronics and I'm hoping to modify to make it solar sufficient instead of battery operated. Thank you everyone for your comments and kind words.
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: DYI - chicken coop a few pics of a coop I built, lol

Oh wow I love this !!!!! Looks great. I’m sure your girls are happy xoxoxo 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: D.I.Y. chicken coop

Fantastic !!! Looks great xoxoxo 

Thank you so much, I’m actually about to do a coop v.2 - this on is too close to the fence for Brisbane’s councils laws - there are a few changes I want to make from learnings from the first one, so will post pics When done. 🐓

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to it @Caron.

Please let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects