Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Coming to the end of tomato season... or is it?

Grub80
Making a Splash

Coming to the end of tomato season... or is it?

Hi all, I’ve had a number crop of tomatoes this year, grown in the hoop house, and now the vines are sprouting out then ends 🤣. I’m considering leaving the vines in to grow next year, but have never done so before. Has anyone had success with overwintering tomatoes for next year?

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Coming to the end of tomato season... or is it?

Where do you live @Grub80? Do you get frosts? 

Hi @Kermit, I live in Aldinga Beach South Australia, about 500m for the coastline, soon real frosts here. Also all the plants are in my hoophouse so are protected somewhat from the elements.

Rach23
Building a Reputation

Believe it should be fine. Left mine in it’s pot last winter (live in Melbourne) and although ”branches” of it died off (they usually do that prior to winter), the actual plant itself survive through winter on a high apartment balcony. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing your experience @Rach23. I'm sure @Grub80 appreciates you joining in the discussion. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us and trust that you'll receive loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects from our wonderful members. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Rach23 @thanks for the help much appreciated, may leave the best fruiting plants for next season fingers crossed 🤞

Hi @Grub80 

I went travelling up in far north Outback Qld. last year from the end of May and when I got back in September my veggie garden was really overgrown.

It took some time to get it ready for summer crops, but I did have one tomato survive.

It was very straggly but was flowering. I did actually get one ripe tomato off it in November.

It struggled on for a bit and eventually I pulled it out as it hadn't grown or produced any more fruit.

The new seedlings that I sowed were far quicker growing than the one that got through the winter. 

Because I was late putting my seedlings in I now have large healthy plants with many tomatoes on them and many more coming.

All I need is the weather to hang on a bit longer. I'm in Geelong.

Here is a before and after of some of my tomatoes. What a difference a month makes.

Last photo is from earlier this month.

Cheers @bergs 

9/1/209/1/20

8/2/208/2/20

Be happy and care for your tools

Hi @bergs @Wow! What a difference a month makes. It’s been a challenging season growing food, but my tomatoes were great. Only thing is they are now at an end. The vines were over 10 ft long is some cases, I ended up training my tomatoes horizontally 🤣 after initially growing 5ft high. I ran out of room. So Im building another hoop house 😂. Looking forward to autumn and getting my seeds growing for winter season good luck with yours.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects