Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

royq
Having an Impact

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

DSCN1944.JPG

Easy little project at my brother-in-law's place a couple of weeks ago. Took about 5 hours and cost less than $100. Really makes a difference.

The fence is all you can see from one of the bedroom windows, so it needed something to make it less bland. However the fence is very close to the house so we wanted to do something that wouldn't take up too much space.

I made a quick video with a time lapse camera just for fun :smile:

BeforeBeforeAfterAfterDSCN1955.JPG

Thanks for checking this out, happy workshopping.

Cheers, Roy

Re: Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

That looks amazing @rexilla99 and in such a tiny space!! Which plant did you end up choosing? I'm feeling inspired to do this along my fence that faces my bedroom windows now as well! You all have inspired me! My fence is along the northern boundary, so the plants would be on the southern side of the fence and wouldn't get any direct sunlight. Wondering if that would be an issue...?

rexilla99
Growing in Experience

@snowlaina The plant is Pandorea.

Not sure about the sun. We have the fence going from East to West and gets sun most of the day.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I love this look on walls and fences @royq - well done.

I am curious to see how the creepers have coped through summer (hot days) though as Colorbond can get up to 90 degrees on our hottest summer days. Have they continued to grow strong and healthy?

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
topper
Building a Reputation

Would anyone be able to suggest a way in which I could use this method to increase the height of the colourbond fence?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @topper,

You'd need to create some type of frames to mount on top of the fence in order to attach the wire guides to. You could use 70 x 35mm Treated Pine to make rectangular frames and screw them directly into the top rail of the fence. Alternatively, you might like to consider installing COLORBOND® Steel 340mm Fencing Post Extensions and then screwing some timber in between them to make a top rail.

Let me mention the helpful @TedBear to see if he had any other ideas.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Colourmyworld
Finding My Feet

Wow Roy I stumbled across this at the very Right Time! We just moved house and as men were unloading our furniture the tradie was putting up the Neighbours Colorbond fence at the very same time. It's a lovely pale green colour but boy oh boy there's a lot of it lol. This is precisely what I needed on my very limited budget. Thanks Roy and Merry Christmas mate

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Colourmyworld. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Let me mention @royq, so they are alerted to your kind comments.

We look forward to following along with your project, and we'd encourage you to let us know if you need assistance or would like to share it with the community. I trust you'll find plenty of inspiration within the community as our creative members are contributing their projects here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Refering to @topper 's query: A challenging project....   the fence post extensions would be a very good idea, given that the pull on the extension frame will be to one side only. Just screwing to the top rail may not be enough to stop the frame being pulled to the side by the wires.   The other issue is that the plants will be on the south side of a steel fence.  If there is no protection, such as plants or tree shade, then the steel will get hot and may burn the plants. I am no plant expert, but I assume that there may be shade tolerant creepers that can grow up the wires. Perhaps spreading some shade cloth over the steel first would protect the creeper from the heat of the steel, if there is no shade on the other side? 

Further thoughts... perhaps this project would be better using a wooden frame in front of the screen, which would allow the height increase as well as keep plants away from the heat of the metal (assuming that there is any, without seeing the actual location). Here is another project where that approach is being taken:-

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Outdoor/How-to-anchor-a-frame-in-front-of-a-colorbond-fence/...

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@royq  How are your climbers going on the Colorbond fence ? Love this, hopefully the fence is covered and looking sensational now !!! 😀😀

ColinL
Growing in Experience

Hi I've stumbled across this amazing thread and hoping for some guidance as I'm very new to this. I've planted some climbing rose next to the colorbond fence about a year ago without thinking ahead (rookie mistake) and was wondering if these wires and eye bolts are strong enough to hold the roses once they're fully grown to several meters or should I just buy the 1.8m x 1m trelis panel plus hooks and hang them on the fence. I'm worried that the wires would collapse once the roses grow too large.  Thank you!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects