Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

royq
Having an Impact

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

DSCN1944.JPG

Easy little project at my brother-in-law's place a couple of weeks ago. Took about 5 hours and cost less than $100. Really makes a difference.

The fence is all you can see from one of the bedroom windows, so it needed something to make it less bland. However the fence is very close to the house so we wanted to do something that wouldn't take up too much space.

I made a quick video with a time lapse camera just for fun :smile:

BeforeBeforeAfterAfterDSCN1955.JPG

Thanks for checking this out, happy workshopping.

Cheers, Roy

dst19
Finding My Feet

Re: Climbers to dress up colorbond fence

Whoops, replied to the wrong person last post :smile:

Now replying to royq.

Hi!

I just saw this post and got massive inspiration.

Can you please share your latest progress pictures?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Climbers to dress up colorbond fence

No problem @dst19, I've tagged @royq for you so he is alerted to your post. 

And let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're rapt you could join us and that you have already been inspired by one of our member projects. I'm sure you will get a lot more great ideas and inspiration as you browse the thousands of posts already made on the site. 

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We look forward to reading about your projects and plans. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cas
Just Starting Out

Re: Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

What wire did you use?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Cas,

Welcome to Workshop. I trust our community members will provide loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your home improvement projects. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand. 

Hopefully @royq will be able to get back to you shortly about what wire he used, but I do know that in a similar Bunnings project the team used this - https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle-3-2mm-316-marine-grade-stainless-steel-wire-rope-per-metre_p431... It's also available in 4mm and 5mm versions.

What are you planning?

Jason

Aido
Just Starting Out

Hi Roy - love your work! 

i was wondering how you affixed the wire to the colourbond (can’t quite make out the technique and fixings from the photos). 

Could you elaborate a little more on this?

many thanks - Aidan

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Aido,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion. I'm sure @royq appreciates the feedback and will be happy to assist you and answer your question about the fixings as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, please let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

mel2795
Just Starting Out

Hi Roy,

What climber did you use?

I am in Bathurst NSW with heavy clay soil and of course frosts.

Mel

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @mel2795,

Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased to have you join in the discussion. 

In a previous post on this discussion, Roy shared that it was Chinese Star Jasmine that he planted - https://www.bunnings.com.au/140mm-chinese-star-jasmine-trachelospermum-jasminoides_p3640650

Let us know if you need a hand with anything. 

Jason

Louisecomau
Getting Established

Hello everyone, 

The work and photos on this thread are a great inspiration! My fence is the identical colourbond color and the green really seems to make this pop.

Does anyone have any alternative ideas to the Chinese Star Jasmine? I have allergies to its flowers :unhappy: 

I have passionfruit on the shortlist... maybe a ficus pumila - although it might struggle on the wire, any other ideas?

Cheers,  

Hi @Louisecomau,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great that you could join us. I trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects around the house and garden from our amazing community. 

Let me tag the wonderful @Noelle who might like to assist by recommending a climbing plant for you.

Feel free to post anytime you need help or have a new project to share.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects